Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Blue Spot Jawfish

pnguye3

Have any of you guys ever taken care of a blue spot jawfish? Are they pretty hardy? Is there anything I should worry about before getting one?

Easily kept...just keep a tight lid on the tank...a 1/2" hole/gap and they WILL evacuate. I'd go so far as siliconing/supergluing/hotgluing any holes for powerheads and cords (if you have any).

Aside from the $99-130 price...they are hardy fish that need a minimum of 30g and VERY PEACEFUL tankmates.

If you get one have a sandbed or at LEAST 3" with plenty of rock rubble sized about

____

|___| or so as well as shells. Some crushed coral among the sand works as well as 'puka' shell and other shells!

It's common after burrow construction to use a shell or small rock to seal their cave entrance nightly!

Easily kept...just keep a tight lid on the tank...a 1/2" hole/gap and they WILL evacuate. I'd go so far as siliconing/supergluing/hotgluing any holes for powerheads and cords (if you have any).

Aside from the $99-130 price...they are hardy fish that need a minimum of 30g and VERY PEACEFUL tankmates.

If you get one have a sandbed or at LEAST 3" with plenty of rock rubble sized about

____

|___| or so as well as shells. Some crushed coral among the sand works as well as 'puka' shell and other shells!

It's common after burrow construction to use a shell or small rock to seal their cave entrance nightly!

i haven't heard of a longterm success story with those fish. they usually succumb within a year in captivity.

eitherway, they will jump 100% so don't risk that, they prefer a 360 view of their surroundings, they want a 6 inch mixed rubble bed.

My lfs has had one in a 24 gallon aquapod for about 1 year now and its a happy and healthy fish, mean too, he flares up when some one goes by his tank.

Yea, mine seems to be doing pretty well so far too. I've had in for a few days, but he eats like a champ... he's always watching around. Whenever I come to the tank, he turns around and stares at me. I just wanted to know if there was anything that I should've been told before buying him.

Thanks for all the replies everybody

emerald chondro

Assuming my yellowhead is similiar here's what I'd do

-atleast 20gal tank usually bigger

-3-6 in sand bed (mines 4)

-Secure lid the first 3 days he will attempt to jump!!

-rubble

-Pvc pipe scattered is a great place for them to go when first introduced and they haven't dug yet

-After they have the burrow established NEVER lift the rock

- I spot feed him with a syringe i think its a good method but thats just me

Hope this helps

Archived