SaltCritters.com

HEEELLPPP! Clam Emergency!

Gvtv44

Ok, I have this clam, right? Well, the third day I had it, a lovely hermit crab decided to chew into it, making a large hole :angry: ... it sealed itself up a day later, but today I come home, and it is all shriveled up in it's shell, and white around the edges... the center is still vivid... but I am sure it is dying... all parameters are perfect... I haven't had it a week yet... how do I save it??????

Please save my clam! :o

Gvtv44

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

is it getting enough light? too much light? how big is it? does it require food? (if its small) what about flow?

72 Watts PC, it's within 6 " of the lamp, and is 3" long. It has been very colorful/ healthy until today, when I found it like it is.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

type of clam? do you have a pic of the clam/damage? it sure would help.

double check all your readings and let us know where your at. are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? (swing arm or float?) have you tested it recently?

Crocea, will take pic... refract... in the past months that I've had the tank, it has never changed that much... should be 1.025.. I'm definate of that. Everything else is happy and thriving, except the clam...

Will have pic by tomorrow night... won't be home until then... hopefully it lived/es :(fingerscrossed:(

your lighting is no where sufficient enough to keep that crocea in the long run. Croceas are the most delicate and light demending of all the clams. Good luck though and hope your clam makes a full recovery. If all your water parameter are good and stable...then just let the clam heal itself through time.

I am well aware of the needs of croceas ;)

It was doing fine/ would be if I didn't have f@$*ing hermits... so basically, leave it? I moved it into my chaeto dish so nothing could get to it... let's hope it recovers... thanks

Here's what I'm thinking, I saw a clam do fine in a tank full of nothing but hermits but it had bad lighting. After a few weeks the hermits had at it, I'm willing to bet weak lighting started to kill off tissue and the hermits where just doing their job. I've seen many many many tanks with clams do fine with hermits. after seeing about 3 of those clams die in local tanks they all had something in common, no MH lighting.

upgrade lights may speed the recovery up. Sorry to hear that. Maybe put egg-crate around the clam so things cant get into it and eat it (but light can).

But i've never had a clam before so dont listen to me just yet.

Here's what I'm thinking, I saw a clam do fine in a tank full of nothing but hermits but it had bad lighting. After a few weeks the hermits had at it, I'm willing to bet weak lighting started to kill off tissue and the hermits where just doing their job. I've seen many many many tanks with clams do fine with hermits. after seeing about 3 of those clams die in local tanks they all had something in common, no MH lighting.

i would think the same but he said it happened on the 3rd day. 3 days isn't enough to render a clam with insufficient lighting. Unless the clam wasn't in tip top shape to begin with.

Archived