Innovative Marine Aquariums

Newbie question, Live rock or not?

lastduke

20G Fish only Tank, 2 damsels, one clown fish, one fire fish and one cleaner shimp in there.

Aquaclear 150/30 filter, heater. That's all I put in the tank. And the sun light hits the tank direclty about 2 hours in the afternoon (i have no where to place the tank).

The tank was cycled and the brown algae is blooming up these days.

I went to LFS and asked them to fix the brown algae. They recommended me to purchase the live rock to prevent from the algae, they told me the my filter/filtration system is not good enough. Live rock will help me to filtrate the water. Brown algae will not be removed from the Fish Only tank because the filter/filter media I have is not good enough.

Are they correct? Because it is my first salt water tank, I tried to set it up as easy as I could.

I would get Live rock anyways. It is a great at biological filtration and I looks pretty cool too. The sunlight hitting the tank isn't helping the algae, but it should calm down. Your filter is fine, i have a 150 as well in my tank; 12 gallon. Try limiting the light you provide the aquarium, set your timer down a few hours. How long are you running it now?? Get some live rock, live sand. You will have to go through another cycle with those. I don't know how that will effect the fish you have now, shouldn't be too bad but did my cylce then bought fish. Pick up a blenny, they love algae, i think they are good on the brown stuff too.

Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestion.

Okay, decision is made. I am going to buy some live rocks.

What's the live sand, I bought the sand which is claimed from ocean, is that okay?

I dont have the spare tank, the existing fishes have to go through the 2nd cycle process again. Say sorry to them.

i have four fishes in 20G already, do you think i can put one more plenny in there?

You may want to get rid of the damsels. They can be bullies. Just take them back to the LFS you bought them from. Then you can get a blenny. I suggest you get a pal for your clownfish. Once you really get into this I don't know how long this tank will stay FO or FOWLR. Have fun!

It sounds good, the sand i have is covered by the brown algae (not very bad), Do I need to change all of them then put the rocks in? The LFS sells the cured rock, i am going to buy it tomorrow.

Anything need to buy? Do i need to buy the light bulb, I ask this becuase the tank is placed at the plenty light location, even sun light hits the tank directly 2 hours everyday.

siphon off as much of the brown algea as you can then put the rock in, i suggest that you add alittle bit of lr at a time like a few pounds a week, in case there is some dieoff the bacteria could handle it, the liverock doesnt need light, but coraline etc. growing on it does, how many watts is the light you have?

i dont believe in cured rock, if a rock is out of the water, it is uncured. At least put it in a rubbermaid tub of saltwater and let the ammonia and nitrite subside.

kkyyllee, I don't have any bulbs for the tank, only the sunlight is killing me by blooming the algae. Do I need to buy some 'specific bulbs' for coral in the future?

I appreciate your advices. I am going to open another thread to ask about adding live rocks in cycled FO tank.

Archived