inTank Media Baskets

Long distance tank move

nd12nc

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be heading off to college in the fall and a family member has shown interest in purchasing my entire setup. The only problem, he lives around 9 hours away.

I will most likely be making the trip with him to help get everything set up and running smoothly. But my question is what is the best way to move a large amount of live rock and coral such a long distance?

I know all the coral will have to be bagged up seperately and placed into a styrofoam container to keep them cool. However, the live rock is my real question. I've heard of people moving it semi-dry with just moist newspaper around it, but i feel i might get too much die-off and i don't really want that. I was thinking a couple of five gallon buckets full of water might do the trick. I currently only have one bucket that i use for my tank and if i purchased new ones what would be the best way to clean them? I know that soap is a big no no, so i assume just plain water would do the trick?

At the moment that's all the questions i can think of but im sure i will have more. All advice and comments are welcome.

I'm a little worried about this :P

Thanks in advance.

Hi - I moved my system about 5000 KM across Canada, about a 3 day drive and everything lived. Bag your corals like you mentioned. I purchased several large coolers, drilled holes in the lids, filled about a 1/3 of the way with the aquarium water and put the rock in there. Each cooler was about half full with rock and water. During transport the water will move around a lot so you won't have to worry about stagnant water.

I prefered the coolers over buckets so I would not have to worry about them tipping over and you have more bottom to place rock instead of stacking it in a bucket. Less die off.

Of course my transport involved a lot more work for the livestock, seperate containers w/lids and holes in coolers with battery air pumps, power inverter for heaters, etc...

Good luck!

Chris

Get a rubbermaid container big enough to hold everything, small enough to fit in the car. Move all the rock into it and the coral (best done with small plastic containers - gladware or something, with holes for circulation).

Add water to the rubbermaid, a powerhead, and the heater. Get a power inverter from Wally World - $20 or so - and plug the powerhead and heater into it during the trip.

You basically turn the rubbermaid into a complete tank - no die off, no cycling, and it can sit there as long as neccesary - put everything in it the night before, move it the next day, set it up the day after.

EtOH_is_good

i moved from baltimore to atlanta. my sps did not survive. most of the softies lived. best is to have heated salt water to put the coral in when you arrive.

Thanks for all the different methods everyone has tried and the result.

This is going to be quite the adventure when it happens, I think investing in a power inverter may not be such a bad idea. However, there isn't a wally world around my area. Would wal-mart or somewhere like that have it?

Archived