9 hours of no power.

toxik

Some wicked storms hit my area yesterday and knock out power from 9pm to 4 in the morning.

I think the only reason everything survived was my dedication to not sleeping and stirring the tank every 15 minutes.

I've learned my lesson though.

I'm either going to buy a cheap UPS to power a emergency low power micro pump, or a 120v/battery powered air pump.

Which is more feasible?

bucknellreefer

you can get a battery powered pump for like $8 so I would get one either way. You never know when it might come in handy...

shaggydoo541

9 hours is not that long. Granted if I sat watching my tank with no movement for 9 hours I would be freaking out. But as long as power is restored withing 12 hrs you should be fine and I have even heard of people going 24 hrs and recovering nicely. I'm sure stirring helped out a lot in your case though because any water movement helps in these situations (most of the time).

if you purchase a ups, you need to get one that has "true sine wave output" many pumps will not run properly or at all on the less expensive ups units commonly found at best buy, staples etc... these units have a modified sine wave causing the magnetic impellers to spin erratically. a less expensive alternative is a battery backup pump as you mentioned. there are several different units to choose from. and if you use a air pump, dont put a airstone on the end of the airline as it produces little water movement. just weigh down the end of the hose with no stone for best movement with the larger bubbles...

come on now, people ship fish overnight which can be 24 hours at a time in a sealed bag. long as you can get surface agitation once in a while things should be fine. I was thinking of setting up some solar panels to power at least one of my power heads or hob, that should save me when those hurricanes hit us in Florida and power is killed for a week.

EtOH_is_good

can we say generator? if you have wicked storms that's what you want. some really good threads popped up about backup power after the hurricanes a couple years ago.

travisurfer

for a small tank, a battery air pump is sufficient. thats what i have been using. i just hope one of the hurricanes doesn't knock the power off for more than a day or two though :eek: i guess it all depends on how much you want to spend though.

chrisdamage

I'm lucky that I'm here in Jacksonville... hurricanes always pass us... something about the geography of our shoreline that makes it hard for a hurricane to come ashore here

costco has a nice little UPS for 99 bucks

it is a 1000va about 24 hours for a 2 amp load...

I got 3 just for shyts & Giggles

BUT check office depot, they normally have smaller ones for 39 bucks, that would power a 2amp pump for several hours

I saved my tank during Katrina...4 days no juice...floated previously frozen water bottles to cool.

2 Battery powered airpumps that run on 2 D batteries...one set of batteries lasted 4 days in each pump.

Izzue

well, if your like me and live in a area that has frequent outages, you will be a happy camper despite the outages if you also own a generator (mine is a 5000 watt), a 800 watt inverter running off a spare deep cycle battery (that can also be charged via the 12 volt dc output of the generator), a 12 volt jump start power center with multiple voltage outputs, a 1500ah true sine wave ups that turns on automatically and only one powerhead is hooked up to it seperatly from the others. and will run it for approx 16-18 hours in case power goes out while im not at home. and a battery operated (2d cells or will run off my power center) air pump. this covers the gammet for me and i have had to use all of the above depending on the duration. we lost power for a day and a half last winter (michigan) the deep cycle became depleted, the ups battery also became depleted. at this point i charge both back up using the generator, while also plugging in the heater every couple of hours. of coarse i dont use a transfer switch but have installed a recepticle to the furnace so that i can hook up the blower and still have heat. no worries mate...

littlewatchman

I wish I had taken my power outtage as seriously as you and maybe I wouldn't have lost my favorite fish (a small bi colored blenny I named Gary Carter)! I went 25 hours without elecitricy and didn't realize I may need to do something until hour 13 when all my fish were gasping desparately for air. Luckily, my power came back on last night and everyone else looks fine.

For the next outtage though, I have on hand a battery powered air pump and some aerating stones.

Glad to hear that everything survived for you!

Some wicked storms hit my area yesterday and knock out power from 9pm to 4 in the morning.

I think the only reason everything survived was my dedication to not sleeping and stirring the tank every 15 minutes.

I've learned my lesson though.

I'm either going to buy a cheap UPS to power a emergency low power micro pump, or a 120v/battery powered air pump.

Which is more feasible?

if you got the dough I would get both the ups and the generator... ah hell, 8$ wont make a difference, might as well get a couple battery powered pumps too. the reason you would want both generator and ups, is that the ups will back up the power automatically. problem is that unless you get a larger ups unit, it will only last so long. that's where the generator comes in handy for the longer run. you obviously have to be there to start the generator.

For the next outtage though, I have on hand a battery powered air pump and some aerating stones.

dont bother with the air stones. they seriously impair the water movement that you can get with just the air tubing. i took a large airstone with the tubing connector allready glued in and cut through the stone so there is no restriction. this serves as its weight to keep the tubing end down. the larger bubbles will move much more water than a stone. as a benifit of not having any restriction, the pump diaphrams will last much longer...

Archived