Pod Your Reef

My Nano Wave

nicDH

I got Aqua medic's All-in-one tank for myself as a moving present, and I transferred my old 5 gal eclipse into this 9 gallon, which was a nice, smooth transition, as it was a 4 1/2 hour car drive!

Well, as of now, the tank has been up for about a week and a half now, and things are really looking great!

Here is an FTS taken a couple days ago. I've since then moved things around a little bit and added a baby fungia plate coral, which is bright green with a light purple base and bright orange mouth :) It's very cool.. about the size of a nickel!

_MG_4349.jpg

My inhabitants are as follows:

[FISH]

-Randalli Shrimp Goby

-Candy Cane Hi Fin Shrimp Goby

[iNVERTS]

-Sexy shrimp

-Randalli Shrimp goby

- two nassarius snails

-Orange cat's eye turbo snail

-star turbo snail

- 2 feather dusters

- Pink coco worm

[CORALS]

- recovering sun coral I rescued from a friend, doing really well

- 3 little green mushrooms

- one huge not-so- blue mushroom

- two little very blue mushrooms

- red bumpy mushrooms

- med. colony of Ultra zoa's

- bubble gum (aka candy apple) zoa's

- small colony of eagle eyes

- little baby fungia plate

- yellow star polyps

- green/purple ricordia (really pretty)

Tell me what you guys think! :) thanks

also, I have some chaeto in the back fuge, and run the lights on it opposite of the tank's lights. The chaeto is filled with baby feather dusters, which i suppose is good for removing some more organics.

I'm only running the skimmer during the day and off at night, half because I know its not too good to run a skimmer 24/7 on a nano, the other half because its kinda noisy... but I might change that soon.

ok! you wanted pics, here are pics! :)

Lets start from the beginning...

here is a full shot of the display:

_MG_4362.jpg

Here is the lighting set up (with flash, they are much brighter), you can see the two fans that nanotuners.com installed for me upon purchase, and you can't see the lighting mod so the moonlights are seperate from the daylights:

_MG_4372.jpg

Here is the back chamber-

chamber 1- protein skimmer, 2. stock filter 3. chaeto, LRR and LS, 4. filter floss and chemipure elite, 5. pump upgraded to a mini jet 606:

_MG_4363.jpg

Chaeto with baby feather dusters:

_MG_4365-1.jpg

New FTS as of today:

_MG_4371.jpg

Bad pic of baby fungia, colors are so much more intense (and can't get good close up):

_MG_4368.jpg

Whatcha think?

Awesome tank! I also have the NW9. Is the tank working out well with the upgraded pump. I also thought the return pump was far to weak, but haven't heard that many people have changed it out. If it works well for you I may follow your lead and swap mine for the same kind. I currently have an additional power head to provide more flow - although I hate the look of it in that little tank.

thanx

I like the upgrade alot.. its not too strong, and there aren't any dead spots really... I'm also about to add a hydor rotating water deflector, to add more current to all spots:)

On top of the two fans, I might think of adding a small fan to the top of the hood pulling air out, because its still getting hot, saying that we don't really use an air conditioner in this almost 100 degree weather! :(

Hey cool tank and very nice setup. I did not notice any mention of temperature control, I recommend you develop some method to cool off the tank quick. This unit does tend to get very hot.

Keep posting pics. I really like that large blue shroom... I've been looking for one locally as well. I also have chaeto growing in the fuge. In my tank, the display area has been taken over by pink Halymenia (Two big bunches of it!!) I've been also thinking bout adding a thin barrier of sorts to create an overflow using the existing drains (will post pic here when I'm successful). :)

Hey cool tank and very nice setup. I did not notice any mention of temperature control, I recommend you develop some method to cool off the tank quick. This unit does tend to get very hot.

Keep posting pics. I really like that large blue shroom... I've been looking for one locally as well. I also have chaeto growing in the fuge. In my tank, the display area has been taken over by pink Halymenia (Two big bunches of it!!) I've been also thinking bout adding a thin barrier of sorts to create an overflow using the existing drains (will post pic here when I'm successful). :)

Oops.... correction...I see the fans...I should look more carefully.

Thanks redbrick :)

I have that really large blue shroom that isn't very blue anymore (and it just wont split!! It keeps on growing!!) , and then a really blue smaller one which has a baby shroom.

I was thinking of some sort of surface skimmer/overflow too... but.. I don't think thats going to happen in my tank.

Yes I do have the two fans, but I'm still having a little bit of trouble since we dont use air conditioning very often. Plus, the other day I did I water change and topped it off too much, submerging the splash gaurd, and it brought my temp. up to 85 degrees that day! :(

I know not to do that again.

well, just to let you guys know, my temp has been much more stable.. its staying between 79-82* now. :) everything looks great, and I added a little orange zoa.. I'll update with pics soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I was just reading thru your specs on the tank again.. and like you I am going to upgrade my return pump up to a 606, in addition i considered purchasing a powerhead for the display, possibly putting a Y adapter on to push flow into areas that dont normally rceive it.

I was wondering where you kept your heater and what kind you are using..

My temps were out of control using a small heater set at 75. I installed the fan kit from nanotuners (i think you said yours came with that). In addition I have a small external fan pointing at the unit.

by the way.. your tank is looking great... I cant wait to post pics of mine once i get this stupid red slime under control!

I actually downgraded the pump for now because I was having problems with it.. the larger pump was pushing water out faster than the last chamber was filling, causing it to run dry. I don't want to upgrade the skimmer pump because I don't want it to run less affectively.. so its stock right now. I am thinking about adding a hydor flo still, or like you said, adding a Y adapter. I don't have a heater in there at all right now. I just use the fans and keep the feeding lid up. thats enough for keeping my temps about 82 during the day, about 79-80 at night.

I need to add some more FTS tomorrow - Ive added some new zoo's, moved some things around.. etc.

That sun polyp likes dim or indirect lighting and alot of water movement. I have some right now and they are very happy in those conditions. BTW nice tank, i like the aquascape.

chaostactics
I know its not too good to run a skimmer 24/7 on a nano, the other half because its kinda noisy

Who told you this? Also get a tunze nano stream or other equivalent power head to blow some current across the bottom of that tank, should help clear up some of that cyano

Great looking scape - I have a blue shroom that did the same thing.. It never did split. Instead it up and walked across the rock and dropped babies behind it like mad. Eventually the original shroom whithered away to nothing and now the babies are taking over.

Doesn't look like Cyano in the first pic - looked like some normal diatoms - I know some people keep getting small blooms for months. Looks like you had it completely under control by the time you posted the second pic though.

good Work!

I've had a few sun Coral that do really well like I have them, which has always been on the floor where they have current, and usually in direct light. When I had one in a different tank, I had it a few inches under the light of the tank, fully exposed to light, and it was open almost 24/7. They do well under any lighting condition in my experience as long as they are fed correctly.

Yes, on the bottom that was a little diatom bloom (completely gone now). Luckily this tank has never had a cyano problem.. it did have bryopsis, which I got rid of, and now there is green hair algae growing on the sun coral base that is getting irritating.

oh, and I run my skimmer 24/7 now because of my feeding, have been doing so for a while, just forgot to put that down. Everyone has their own opinions about skimmers on nano tanks. :)

I added two turbo snails today.. and I don't know what to do about the hair algae on the sun coral. I pull it off.. but it grows really fast. I don't want to take the poor thing out (its the only thing with GHA on it).

I'm thinking about adding a blastomussa merletti to this tank... I've found a couple of nice ones, I just have to think about the money... and also that they are in metal Halides as of now and my tank is PC's (though its a lot of light for that little tank).

well, I did decide to get a little blasto. :) so i took a couple quick pics for ya.

Little blasto frag:

DSC00175.jpg

closer pic:

DSC00178.jpg

FTS:

DSC00177.jpg

well, I did decide to get a little blasto. :) so i took a couple quick pics for ya.

Blastos look great.. I have had some in my N.W. for a few months, and just noticed the little babies starting on them, looks like I'm doing something right... Tank looks awesome by the way!

Thanks!

It seems to me from everything I've read and observed, that blasto's are really easy corals. I mean, they don't need intense lighting, they don't need to be feed but can be, can be placed anywhere.. and are gorgeous! Too bad they are so expensive... still love them anyway! :)

Archived