Top Posters In This Topic

• mvite

• ENraged

• The Propagator

• adinsxq

ARGH!!

Well--I killed 2 SPSs yesterday.

UPS GROUND IN STATE --- IN THE SUMMER = NO NO NO NO NO

The few DOA's I have had---have been in-state UPS ground. It's cheap-- $8, but it spends the entire time on the truck (no plane) and it's the last package delivered and can be rescheduled as mentioned prior.

It didn't get delivered until 6pm last night--and it was HOT.

NO MORE IN STATE UPS GROUND IN THE SUMMER OR WINTER FOR ME!!!

Only Fall and Spring shipping via UPS Ground in - state from now on! :(

yea mvite.... i agree with you on that one

IT's BEEN DAMN HOT.

I think when it's "damn hot" I should only use the Propack boxes. I had an SPS DOA with my homemade box, but not with the solid ones that I re-used.

There were times when the box even sat outside all day in really hot weather and the Propack box made it. That's not conclusive evidence---but 5-6 times works for me. It's not like I can refer to "Fragman's Journal" to see what they recommend!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well--the temps have been solid 80's this week and I had a lot of stuff go to different parts of the country.

SPS, LPS, zoas and some other softies were shipped to FL, CA, WA, OK, IL to name a few---and everything was fine. I have been doubling up on the walls of the boxes with styro---kinda double lining them---but I still worry with every package.

I hope the temps start getting more mild now that September is coming. I am poised for some fantastic Fall coral shipping. Loads of my stuff will be hitting its prime just as the temps are at their mildest in October.

Next Summer, I will be investing in some ULINE Propack boxes for sure. I will sleep better at least.

Anyone else with ice or no ice experiences?

• 3 weeks later...
Ricky@3rdshift

I just recieved some corals with ice packed in with them. They are sucked up tight and have not opened yet after about 24 hours. It was zoas and a Ric. I dunno what difference the ice made, because instead of the 2 days shiping it ended up taking 3 days via USPS.

Leason learned on the shipping. I will only go express now.

Edited by Ricky@3rdshift
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep---Overnight is the only way to go. It's too risky otherwise.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE OVERNIGHT TEMPS TO WHERE YOU ARE SHIPPING!

I just read on another forum where cold night temps are calling for NO ICE--yet some shippers are still using it.

Use common sense---CHECK THE TEMPS---If you must use ice----keep it separate from the corals!

I also read of people using frozen juice packs---that's a cute idea---but again---MAKE SURE YOU REALLY NEED ICE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

REMINDER : ICE MELTS WITHIN 6-8 HOURS OF SHIPPING.

• 4 weeks later...
Insane Reefer

Hi :)

I am a complete shipping virgin :blush: , but am engaged in a trade with another reefer. We are shipping Ricordea, Zoa's and Shrooms. The temps are going to be 50°'s during the days and 40°'s at night.

We have agreed to ship Priority Mail, as he has been shipping this week with them with no problems, and I, for one, am CpHoEoAr P.

:huh:

How we are planning on doing it (has worked well for him) is to use as little water as possible in the bag, wrap the frags in paper towel and place in the water, double bag them, and then stick them in a box with packing nuts. I am assuming the thicker the layer of nuts, the better the insulative value. Wouldn't this also allow heat packs to breath, as I read about earlier in the thread?

Do you think we need heat packs (we both think we do), and if so, where do you find them???

Would these work?

http://www.reptilecity.com/Merchant2/merch...roduct_Code=U4H

Edited by Insane Reefer
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Reef Goddess

Good evening all!

I knew I had posted a comment on ice packs several months ago on reef2reef and luckily I was able to hunt it down. Mvite is kinda senile and this will benefit the rest of you, so here goes. ;p

I always use ice packs when shipping to an area that has a day time temp of 82+ degrees. In the past when I was still learning to ship well I didn't and had a lot more doa's.

I use heat packs when the temp is below 72 and dropping lower in the evening/next day.

If it is 70ish at night but warming up to 77-81 the next day/morning then I don't use anything.

For the 24-48 hr heat packs, I tape them to the lid of the box and make sure there is plenty of insulation in between. This type of heat pack becomes very warm and can cook corals if they touch the bag.

Hothands makes some smaller 10hr heat packs that are good for when you need just a little warmth, those you can pack in a small bag of air and place beside the actual bags of coral w/o any problems.

I usually check my customer's zip code on weather.com and do the hour-by-hour report for the next day. This will give you a good idea of what conditions you need to pack for, instead of going into it blind. I used to think doing this was too much of a hassle. But now I know better and it takes a lot of the guess work out of shipping. Its also a good way to find out if there is severe weather in the area and save your package from shipping delays.

When shipping larger corals, I wrap the ice pack in a sheet of newspaper then bag it and then bag the corals and it together (hope this isn't confusing). Should I make a video? lol

For frags or smaller corals I usually bag up the frags, then place them in a 3mil bag alone. Then I take my bagged ice pack and place it at the top of the box with some styro peanuts or other insulation between them. That way the ice pack keeps an ambient temp in the box without chilling the actual corals much. The ice packs I use probably stay frozen for maybe 4-6hrs wrapped in newspaper. I drop my packages off at 8pm for fedex and 5:30pm for DHL. Everything is shipped overnight and I never use USPS. hehe

I rarely have doa's, but the ones I've had have almost always been from a heat pack too close to a coral, not an ice pack making things too cold. Corals can withstand a lot more cold than heat.

Using ice or heat packs when shipping corals is really more about maintaining the same water temperature throughout the shipping process instead of trying to "cool" the water the corals are in. I've shipped to areas with 100+ and -15 below temps with repeated success. I have also shipped to Vegas in the summer, priority overnight is recommended. ;]

I've found that shipping corals requires a lot of trial and error, but I'm pretty happy with the system we've worked out now.

As for boxes, we also used to cut our own, but it was a real pita and not really worth looking like a snowman afterwards and having so much space taken up in a room.

I purchase most of my styro boxes from my local wholesaler, but also purchase some smaller cut styro boxes, ice packs, and heat packs from superiorenterprise.com . They have a flat rate shipping fee and the boxes come out to about $3-4 each.

There's no reason to stop trading or buying corals during the summer if you do it right.

Other companies that I've purchased from that do a good job packing/shipping are: reefermadness, liveaquaria, and pacific east aquaculture.

Nearly all the doa or coral damage I have had has not been from extreme temperates, but from Fedex/DHL treating packages like they're meant for a superbowl. When they come out with an affordable steel box to ship in, the hobby will be much better off. ;p

Edited by Reef Goddess

Who's senile???!!! You is the one who is mixing threads up!!! You started right--on ice--which was nice---and then you wobbled over into the how to ship coral thread!!!

But that's ok, nana. :P

I jest--I appreciate your participation! Only hands on experience can help us all understand this better.

You ship from temps that are usually warm, being in Fla---so its probably good that the ambient temps are colder initially--they have to be cuz ice is colder at first.

I did have one DOA this winter--and it was from overheating. You have to remember that heat/cold has a greater effect on smaller amounts of water--and I didn't remember that.

I find that you if separate the heat (or ice maybe--I've never used it) from the coral, it works well to affect the ambient temps as RG stated.

Real styro boxes are great for sure. Its all about affordability vs. reliability.

I agree about being tired of looking like a snowman from styro---and I would like my side of the garage back so I can put my car inside again!!

• 1 month later...
AcroporaLokani
Who's senile???!!! You is the one who is mixing threads up!!! You started right--on ice--which was nice---and then you wobbled over into the how to ship coral thread!!!

But that's ok, nana. :P

I jest--I appreciate your participation! Only hands on experience can help us all understand this better.

You ship from temps that are usually warm, being in Fla---so its probably good that the ambient temps are colder initially--they have to be cuz ice is colder at first.

I did have one DOA this winter--and it was from overheating. You have to remember that heat/cold has a greater effect on smaller amounts of water--and I didn't remember that.

I find that you if separate the heat (or ice maybe--I've never used it) from the coral, it works well to affect the ambient temps as RG stated.

Real styro boxes are great for sure. Its all about affordability vs. reliability.

I agree about being tired of looking like a snowman from styro---and I would like my side of the garage back so I can put my car inside again!!

Notmvite, do you by any chance know Mvite? :P

• 1 year later...
bekindtoyurbuds

If you are cutting your own insulation, out of styrofoam sheets, can you tape the inside corners and sides (where styro meets styro) of the styrofoam pieces once you fit them into the box(to seal the box better), leaving the lid untaped to allow the heat pack to breath, thus insulating the box better?

has anyone tried this, how does it work?

And for those of you who've tried cutting pieces of stryofoam and have little bits left all over, you can always use a thin wire (heated) to cut through the styrofoam and leave clean edges. (just use in a well ventalated area and don't breath in the smoke)