Planning and Considering a Nano

Adam

Good day folks,

I'm contemplating starting up a small saltwater setup. I currently have 3 freshwater tanks going, and have a free 10 g tank. It has the usual freshwater set up (i.e. a Aquaclear 30 and a heater). I was wondering what additional hardware I'd need to add to my standard tank.

From my reading I believe I'd need something like a Maxi Jett 400. Is it a self contained unit or do you need to add a pump to it as well? I've also heard that for such small tanks a protein skimmer is optional, and that water changes can accomplish the same task for such a small setup.

One thing that starting up so many tanks is I've learned the importance of patience, so I know starting up will be a nice and slow process. It's tough losing a $2.00 fish let alone a $30.00 fish...lol...

So, just your thoughts on some hardware I'd need to convern my standard freshwater tank.

Thanks

Adam

Do you want to set up for fish only or are you planning on adding a reef??

Strong lighting

Good Filtration

Live Rock

Live Sand

That powerhead

R/O Water, salt and a few fish!

saltwater fish really arn't that expensive. You can go with some dasmels for around $2.00 up to a clown for around 16.00. Nano tank fish are pretty cheep overall.

Adam-

First off :welcome: !!!

Ok you will need to buy a new light if you are going to keep corals/inverts etc. If you are going to do a fish-only tank, upgrading the lighting isnt a must. Some places where you can see the different lights is liveaquaria.com, marinedepot.com, and hellolights.com.

Just depending on what you want to keep in the tank, you could do a PC light fixture. This is the cheapest and easiest way. If you want to keep more difficult things such as anemones and SPS corals, you will need to get some kind of MH light fixture.

Strong lighting

Good Filtration

Live Rock

Live Sand

That powerhead

R/O Water, salt and a few fish!

Thanks StevieT. You mention Good Filtration. What specifically does that include, and how does it differ from my regular filtration system. For my fresh water set-up I use the powerhead with sponge, carbon, and biomedia. You mention the powerhead below. Is the purpose of the powerhead simply for water circulation, or do you use media inside it for filtration purposes.

thanks

Adam

The bulk of the filtration in a reef tank is accomplished by water circulation and the live rock.

Most people remove the media from the power filter and replace it with live rock rubble, maybe some cheato (macroalgae) and carbon as needed.

The MaxiJet 400 is an excellent powerhead and is used for additional circulation. It is a self contained unit, nothing else to buy.

Archived