Innovative Marine Aquariums

Taking the SPS plunge...

Pickle010

Alright ladies and gentleman,

I BELIEVE I am ready to take the SPS plunge. I've tested my water last night and everything checked out great and I've just upgraded my tank:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...117929&st=0

with the Sunpod 150 HQI. It's been running since December and has been doing great. I've done most of the standard BC29 mods and have gone back to running a Remora Aqua C skimmer. My bio load is pretty light occupants still include my Royal Gramma, a Six Line Wrasse and a Fire Fish.

So later this afternoon I will be going by my favorite LFS - Coral Oasis in Irvine and checking out the SPS selections they have.

My question is - What is a good SPS to start out with? any recommendations?

how about monti or digi? those were what was recommended to me. i ended getting a few montis and so far they're doing really well. pretty hardy.

well, whats your turnover?

I'm not sure what you mean. Turnover?

Thanks... I'll look into to the monti and digi.

Any reason why I would stay away from anything in particular?

What about Acropora?

perhaps acros are more finicky? :huh: i'm going to wait about a month to see how well my montis do before getting a acro.

as long as your ca and alk are in check, good water movement, and decently low nutrients, you should be fine with most sps pieces. turnover is the total gph in your display over the total volume of your tank.

as long as your ca and alk are in check, good water movement, and decently low nutrients, you should be fine with most sps pieces. turnover is the total gph in your display over the total volume of your tank.

Right on.. thanks...

My flow is great I'm running the stock pump on my BC29 - I have an mj1200 on the skimmer - but added a hydor koralia 2 (600 gph) in my display.

Right on.. thanks...

My flow is great I'm running the stock pump on my BC29 - I have an mj1200 on the skimmer - but added a hydor koralia 2 (600 gph) in my display.

the mj1200 doesn't count towards the turnover rate. the hydor koralia would.

the mj1200 doesn't count towards the turnover rate. the hydor koralia would.

Yeah.. I figured...

But between the hydor and my stock pump - my turn over should be about 42x per hour.

I have plenty of easy to keep SPS for good prices in Anaheim....

I have green, red, and orange monticap. I have green stag and neon green slimer....I sell these cheap for beginners like yourself

There is no point in buying from a store when you can get a nice frag of green stag from me for $5! LOL

I have plenty of easy to keep SPS for good prices in Anaheim....

I have green, red, and orange monticap. I have green stag and neon green slimer....I sell these cheap for beginners like yourself

There is no point in buying from a store when you can get a nice frag of green stag from me for $5! LOL

Hey Prop... I'm free this afternoon. I'd deffinately like to check out what you have.

Prop.. PM Sent.

patrickross

Hey proraptor I want to buy a frag of slimer! Will you ship? I'm in San Diego, I suppose I could drive up to anaheim, maybe I'll buy a few things.

I'm not sure what you mean. Turnover?

Thanks... I'll look into to the monti and digi.

Any reason why I would stay away from anything in particular?

What about Acropora?

Well, first, digi's are montis. There's tons of different flavors of montipora to choose from, all of which should do well in your tank. You've got digitata that gives nice vertical growth, capricornis thats a nice plating coral and a lot of different types of encrusting montipora, the most popular of which is danae.

Feel free to try some acros too, but they can be more finicky. Green slimers and staghorns are always good to start with. I'd stay away from tabling acros for a while till you're ready. OH, and always, ALWAYS, start with frags as a beginner. Wild colonies will most likely not do well.

No shipping sorry

Thanks for the info everyone - I'm going to check out what the Proraptor has and go from there.

Thanks for the info everyone - I'm going to check out what the Proraptor has and go from there.

he's a ghetto white dude, becareful :lol:

Archived