Cultivated Reef

Easter Island Statues!

Noonan

Some of you know, I manage my LFS (spending more than I make :angry:).. I have been following majority of the tanks with the Easter Island statues and I really wanted to make one for my BC14. I was a little uncertain about doing it because I didn't want to leech anything into the water.

A few days ago, we were getting deliveries and putting them away. I opened a box and it was filled with plastic Easter Island statues! We have large ones that are about a foot tall, and small ones that are about 5" tall. I had to buy one. I would show you how it looks in my tank, but my BC pump just failed. I just got a MJ900 but every thing is still looking kind of crappy from the night without filtration. Heres a link to ones just like mine...

Ebay - Easter Island Statues

7acb_1.JPG

travisurfer

I've had the small one in my tank for over 8 months now. He's all covered up with coralline and other stuff. It looks awesome :P

I've had the small one in my tank for over 8 months now. He's all covered up with coralline and other stuff. It looks awesome :P

I have heard people talk about yours but I never seen it. I thought all of the ones on the forums were home made. Care to share some pictures?

travisurfer

i don't have any recent shots of just the statue but there are a ton of the tank with it in there that can be found in the member's section.

this is all i could find of it in my pico

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/tra...nt=MVI_2387.flv

that tank didn't last long because maintaining two tanks was just too much for me. i miss it though ;)

EDIT: that was before anything started growing on it. i really need to update my tank thread with some recent pics of everything ;)

Ohhhh.. Very nice. Looks great. The way it comes looks awesome with the little bit of fake algae on it, I can only imagne how it looks with some coralline.

travisurfer

either that or i may give it some xenia hair. its like hair that pulses.

btw, did you see the ones that duncan made?

travisurfer
That would look so awesome with GSP or anthelia for hair! :D

yeah, thats why i'm trying

Meh.. I'm more of a naturalist when it comes to my tank.

it would just be like the reefs in rappa nui. there is some awesome stuff down there. it looks natural in the tank once it gets covered with coralline and everything so i don't mind it.

Thats awesome!

Travis-Sorry about that. You must have post a couple seconds before me cause I didnt see your post about the xenia.

Wow, just noticed this thread.

Thanks for the publicity, Travisurfer! lol

Anyway, I saw Travisurfer and Oogie's tank thread, and boy, was I impressed with the look of that moai among the corals! So kudos to them.

I searched everywhere for the statue, but couldn't find anything. End up making my own moai. lol

The material used are only a large coral chip and reef-safe epoxy. I attached the epoxy onto the coral chip and molded the epoxy into facial features of a Moai. The only tedious part is that you have to be very quick with the molding 'cos the epoxy hardens very fast. The whole process is less than 3 minutes and wham! you got yourself a diy moai.

My 3 wise men aka reef guardians, standing at only 1 inch tall.

DSCN7899.jpg

Duncans was also one of the ones that made me get this.

I usually would only like natural stuff in my reef, but it looks natural. Next I am going to get one of those clams with the pearl, complete with the air pump to make it open and close.

Im not being serious.

Archived