Sand, water, then liverock, or what?

Noonan

Hey Guys..

Im just curious to what you do. I have been keeping marine tanks for about 10 years, just curious to what the order everyone else does.

I add live sand, then live rock, and then water. I know many people who fill it with water, get the temperature and salinity right and then start to add LR and water. I think its kind of stupid though, since the displacement means your going to have to take water out.

Discuss..

Well, you don't have to add water to the brim since there will be the displacement factor.

Generally, people with nano tanks don't have huge holding tanks to store the saltwater before they go on to purchase the rocks, sand etc. Well, I'm one of those.

For me, the setup procedure is... mix salt in the tank, let it sit for a few days with a powerhead running. Then rocks, then sand...

Hey Guys..

Im just curious to what you do. I have been keeping marine tanks for about 10 years, just curious to what the order everyone else does.

I add live sand, then live rock, and then water. I know many people who fill it with water, get the temperature and salinity right and then start to add LR and water. I think its kind of stupid though, since the displacement means your going to have to take water out.

Discuss..

I do water first so I can use the pumps to mix the salt for me, then siphon out a few inches of water into a bucket before adding sand, then rock. I don't mind taking the water out - it only involves all of a few deep breaths and a well-placed hose.

Seems easier than mixing several 5g buckets to pour in. That, and you don't have to worry about that odd splash off the liverock hitting you in the face :happy:

soundtweequor

I have a 10 gal and what I did was mixed the water, salt and live sand and about 5 gal of water in the tank and I ran another 5 gal of salt & water mix in a bucket with a powerhead overnight and went to the LFS the following morning to get about 10lb of LR set it the tank and topped it off with the remaining water from the bucket. Obviously you won't be using the entire 5 gal of water but I had about 1 1/2 gal of pre mix.

I also added water first and then salt. I filled to the brim, and then poured the water i didn't need into a bucket that I'll use for the first couple of changes. I then added sand and had a 2 day sand storm which I'm just starting to get over. At the end of the week I'll start getting the rock.

I just set up my first tank. I put water in first and let it sit for a few days to get the salinity right. Then I added live rock and then the sand so the sand settles in around the rock and prevents a ton of shifting. Just an idea though. I've just started my first nano-reef, so I'm hoping this order works.

I just set up my first tank. I put water in first and let it sit for a few days to get the salinity right. Then I added live rock and then the sand so the sand settles in around the rock and prevents a ton of shifting. Just an idea though. I've just started my first nano-reef, so I'm hoping this order works.

Salt, water(wait for temp), rock, sand, wait a day, then ammonia... Probably going to get razzed for that, but when I don't have access to uncured LR, ammonia will shoot me through a cycle in about 5 days. Then test, water change, and start with the livestock... that's just me though, whatever works for you works. As long as in the end you have salt, water, and rocks... then you're doing it right (sand optional).

linkia lady

Water, LR, and then sand. You want your rocks to sit on the bottom of the tank without any shifting. I always add sand last!

Hey Guys..

Discuss..

If you have been doing it for 10 years then it must be working well for you. You could try it once in the opposite order just to see what is gained or lost.

Archived