ReefCleaners.org

My microreef is boring- livestock suggestions?

six50joe

I've had my 16 gal bowfront tank up and healthy for 3 yrs now. It contains:

3" live sandbed

Live fiji rock

False percula clown

Fire shrimp

Sunrise dottyback

2 hermit crabs

Snails

Zoos

Leaher coral

Except for one incident a year ago, it's been problem free the entire time I've had it. The only real problem is- it's boring. Because of the dottyback's agression, there isn't a fish I'm aware of that would hold its own in my setup. I'm not yet experienced enough to move onto stony corals, or other difficult to keep inverts.

Can anyone offer suggestions for livestock for me to add, obviously compatible with my current setup? I'm not afraid to try something a little more advanced, as long as it doesn't require constant maintenance throughout the day.

I would suggest some xenia. It a great coral, fast growing, and sways in the flow giving your tank some life. I would also suggest a frogspawn, or torch coral depending on your lighting.

a clown trigger would definitely spice things up a bit.

on a more serious note, i've always been a big fan of mushrooms, they can add both vibrant color and movement.

chessmanmark

What kind of lighting are you using? Can you post a picture of your tank? I hope you guys were just being facetious regarding the yellow tang.

get a damsel and see what happens if you starve it, that should be exciting

...no that wouldnt...yeah i was just kiddin around with tang :D

I'mma agree... you need more movement in the tank. Xenia would be a quick fix for that, so could some GSP. I'm not sure what leather coral you're talking about already having, but maybe something with somethink like a colt would also add some movement to spice things up? Even a featherduster or frogspawn or hammer would add little zing... your tank, your call. just my 2 cents.

What kind of lighting are you using? Can you post a picture of your tank? I hope you guys were just being facetious regarding the yellow tang.

Will post a pic over the next week. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think I may hold off on the shark egg though...

geekreef_05

get those cheezy aquarium laser lights and then put a disco ball over the tank.

seriously, no more fish, cept for SMALL goby species...

...if you have a stable and well light tank, Id suggest an anemone for your clown. Its entertaining watching them play in an anemone all day.

travisurfer

i agree with geekreef. clowns and anemones are just mesmorizing. when i'm at the lfs i end up just staring at them for the longest time.

pistol shrimp moving the sand around all day is pretty cool, my family always gets a kick out the fast moving feather duster worms when they retract into the tube. yeah frog spawn or hammer head would provide a fair amount of movement, just watch out how close they are to other corals they are stingers! Neon blue gobys in a pair would be cool to watch wave in the water!

Here's a current photo (just turned on the lights, so everything in there is groggy). Aren't anenomes high maintenance compared to what I've got in there now?

post-8250-1183439126_thumb.jpg

get those cheezy aquarium laser lights and then put a disco ball over the tank.

I second that, it's WAY better than what I came up with!!!

On second thought, you could always add a Fancy Flemish Farting Fish.

Archived