Pod Your Reef

12g DX question

Link311

It's getting hot here in New Jersey, and yesterday my tank got up to around 82-82.5*F with no AC going in my apartment. Got the iCA chiller timed to go on with the lights. But even overnight with the AC on, I didn't notice my temp go down much below 80. The heater is set low, like 76*F.

My question is, now that I have some living things in there, is it OK to leave the feeding lid open throughout the day? I'm planning on leaving my AC on low today while I'm at work. But I don't know how likely it is that a snail or crab or shrimp could crawl out? Newb question, for sure. But on my mind...

Aside from evap, any other disadvantages to leaving it open? I'm thinking it will help to keep the water cool(er).

I started a thread about the ICA and it has been confirmed by NT that you can run the ICA 24/7 which will lower the temps more vs. on/off.

Unless you have a fish that might jump leaving the lid open is fine. The inverts will stay put. You could put a fan blowing toward the tank with the feeder lid open.

What size pump are you using in your Nano, I am currently running the MJ 1200 and have noticed that my tank stays up near 82.5 degrees with No heater. I am switching out to the MJ 900 today to see if that is the problem. I left my feeder lid open this morning when I left for work, just to see if that helps at all. Then again, I am not running a chiller yet and I see that you are, maybe thats what I need.

Well its midday and ive had the lid open with the AC on low. Lights and chiller have both been on for about 2 hours (I didn't change anything with those timers). Water temp is at 79.9*F, so I seem to have avoided danger. I know that not every day will be this hot. I don't have a problem paying a little extra attention to my new pets on these unbearable days. That's all it took, and my newb freak-out session has passed.... for now! ha!

And oh yeah, as for the pump. I stuck with the stock pump for now until I see a reason to change it. My LFS guys couldn't come up with a reason to change it to anything else, despite what I told them I have read on here. The cycle went well, and my CUC is moving around a lot and eating after their first 3 days home. So I'm gonna try to keep the tank as-is for now, in the tradition of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm running the MJ900.....the added flow help to keep from having "dead spots" and from having detritus settle.

Archived