Viper K2 70W -> 150W

TsjaTTer

Hi there,

yesterday I bought an imported 70W Viper K2 lamp here in europe. Light fixtures for small tanks are very hard to get here, and none is mountable on the tank itself (they all are pendants), so I'm very glad I found the viper for a nice price!

Now I'm thinking about upgrading the Viper with european components. Would it be feasible to change the 70W bulb with a 150W bulb, and the ballast with an 150W electronic ballast? Is the fixture itself good enough to handle the additional heat? Is there a change between the 70W and 150W version of the fixture?

Best regards,

Jan

the bulb is much bigger for a 150 isn't it? I dunno if I would recommend this. Were the coralifes not available?

Is the bulb larger? I didn't know that :s

Here in Belgium no sunpods, vipers, current-usa products are available. The only fixtures 20'' wide are pendants, and unfortunatelly thats a no-go from my girlfriend ;)

Jan

I have asked about this and someone linked a page that had the lengths of each bulb and the bulb is in fact longer. I think with a bit of persuading and handy skills you could lengthen the distance of the endcaps and it should work.

Is the bulb larger? I didn't know that :s

Here in Belgium no sunpods, vipers, current-usa products are available. The only fixtures 20'' wide are pendants, and unfortunatelly thats a no-go from my girlfriend ;)

Jan

Why don't you just get the pendant but not hang it and use another form of support?

Why don't you just get the pendant but not hang it and use another form of support?

simple question, simple answer: my girlfriend :P

She wants an aesthetically looking tank in the living room, so solutions that are visibly DIY are forbidden. Besides, I have the viper fixture already ;)

you could do a nice looking DIY... there are those goose neck light stands that could work and would look nice

Or just build a freakin canopy....

The socket for the 150W bulbs are nearly an inch longer so it wouldn't work. You'd have to hack into the existing fixture.

The socket for the 150W bulbs are nearly an inch longer so it wouldn't work. You'd have to hack into the existing fixture.

When I look at the JBJ website, i see no differences in fixture sizes between 70W and 150W, so I assume that both must fit in the same fixture...

No, the bulbs are different lengths. I have two on my desk right now, one 70W and one 150W. Definately different.

No, the bulbs are different lengths. I have two on my desk right now, one 70W and one 150W. Definately different.

I understand that the lamps are different size, and that the lampholder will be different size too, but what I mean is that the outer shell of the viper (what I call the fixture) seems to be the same for both models, so I think I can retrofit a 150W bulb in there.

Jan

For those interested:

I managed to build in the 150W bulb, it fitted just in, I had no room left :)

The light is MUCH brighter now!

Jan

Archived