Pod Your Reef

Zoa ID? Beautiful green, never seen!

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

er1c_the_reefer

here we go. found an old picture:

CIMG3224.jpg

sorry, bad picture from my old mavica camera and under PCs. they're a lot brighter under halides. i'll try to find the frag and snap a picture of it under halides.

if you look at the lower left corner, thats the original wild hitchhiker i got my 10,000 lakes leptastrea from =). it was less than 1" when i first found it.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

From what I can tell, there is an outer ring. Looks like Ring of Fire IMO from what I can tell. Do you think it looks like the one I originally posted? What colors are the skirts?

Bottom left: beautiful stuff bro

Whether or not his colony has an outer ring doesn't matter much. The basic coloration is there, so it's just a color morph of the same thing. Put them under your lighting and they'd likely lose any outer ring they had, or yours would gain one under his.

As a test of this, you should both send me small frags to put under my lights, side by side. After sufficient time to morph - I'll post pics ;)

XxViEtXjUStiNxX
Whether or not his colony has an outer ring doesn't matter much. The basic coloration is there, so it's just a color morph of the same thing. Put them under your lighting and they'd likely lose any outer ring they had, or yours would gain one under his.

As a test of this, you should both send me small frags to put under my lights, side by side. After sufficient time to morph - I'll post pics ;)

Lol I'm giving these frags to a friend to see if they develop under his MH and change morphs.

The camera he was using at a time is extremely outdated (unless you have the one with the CD-R) and I guess I'll have to wait for an updated picture.

er1c_the_reefer

here's an updated picture.

flash off

IMG_2217.jpg

flash on

IMG_2220.jpg

frag

IMG_2207.jpg

they look green in the picture, but i'm still insisting they're more goldish in person. :lol:

HecticDialectics

Those zoas in the original post just look like regular old common colored zoas to me... fast growers... plain solid color. <shrugs>

er1c's look very different and more neon.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX
Those zoas in the original post just look like regular old common colored zoas to me... fast growers... plain solid color. <shrugs>

er1c's look very different and more neon.

Lol if they are so common.. why doesn't anybody have them? Well besides Er1c I guess.

Also, er1cs is under lots of actinic, while mine is under none. Also, his white balance isn't exactly great from what I can tell. Still beautiful zoas though, er1c. No offense bro.

er1c_the_reefer

no offense taken, but actually, i'm not running actinics. i'm running 1 400w reeflux 10,000k bulb.

camera i'm shooting with a powershot s3is on set on manual white balancing, no filters. best my camera can do, unfortunately, until i get a dslr.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

What kelvin is the reeflux?

Do those zoas look like nuclear greens by any chance?

That's a good camera, but what are you using as your white balance reference? Picture seems to be overexposed in certain areas with a lot of purple fringing.

er1c_the_reefer

reeflux 10,000k. admittedly, the 10,000k in this brand bulb makes blues pop more so than others but tend to be so-so for oranges and greens.

i'm not camera expert, but its set to custom evaluate mode. i guess you push a button and the camera automatically sets it.

i never really knew that these zoas were. i've seen them around and never really though anything of it. maybe i'm just spoiled from having 5-6 great LFS's near me. my friend just bought a big colony the other day. i'm also no "zoa-ologist" but these are my nuclear greens:

IMG_2242.jpg

now if i can get them to stay in the middle of the plug i'll be a happy reefer.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

Beautiful Nuclear green. My green looks EXACTLY like that. THe only difference between my zoa and the nuclear green is that the nuclear green is a paly and mine is a zoa.

Is that the same situation with the zoas you posted above? Or are they gold like you said before?

er1c_the_reefer

same conditions. except this frag is directly under the halide, where as the other frag is on the sides not getting direct lighting.

the nuclear green is indeed very green, i got this one from pookstreet, he can attest. and as i recall, i still owe him for it too.

I've seen the exact zoas in the OP. A few rocks. That exact "nuclear" shade of green. I see them every so often. They run the same price as a regular zoa rock, wholesale.

Seriously, OP, you can PM me all you want about how I'm "all talk and no walk" but it's just retarded. Get some xoas because you think they're cool, not make a post to obviously show them off, ask if they're rare, and then obviously get PM's about frags.That's the whole point of this thread. You may be a bit of a n00b around here, but check my join date and post count and you'll understand I see it all the time, and I see right through it. Everyone's out to make a buck. HAVE A CORAL BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT, NOT BECAUSE IT IS OR POSSIBLY IS WORTH MONEY. I know it's just a moral issue, but DAMNED if I don't see plenty of people just value NOTHING, seeing everything as dollar-sign-shaped polyps.

THERE's your fuggin' answer. Stop PMing me.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

Oh POST-WHORE more please. Why do you like to brag about your post count and join date so much? Do you honestly think that makes a difference? People who are here are just hobbyist; there isn't anybody extremely special out here, including yourself. You post count and join date don't mean nothing, nor does it give you the right to flame and attack people for no reason. I have yet to sell anything on NR over the internet. I'm trying to be more active in the socal meets and things like that, but obviously that makes no difference to you.

Sorry that I don't have time to go around bugging and picking on peoples' threads, trying to act like you're actually somebody.

What happen to all this talk about chop-n-shop? What happened? Did you change your mind?

The reason why I bought this coral is because I liked it. Do you honestly think that I'm out here just to make money? I'm giving other people a chance to have a coral that they might not have yet. Isn't that what bartering is? I'm a hobbyist just like most of the other people on this website, not a whole seller. Get a grip of yourself and stop being so immature. You aren't a moderator or anybody important so stop trying to act like you're the police.

"Seriously, OP, you can PM me all you want about how I'm "all talk and no walk" but it's just retarded."

"Stop PMing me."

A little redundant, no? Shows how smart you are.

HecticDialectics
The reason why I bought this coral is because I liked it. Do you honestly think that I'm out here just to make money? I'm giving other people a chance to have a coral that they might not have yet. Isn't that what bartering is? I'm a hobbyist just like most of the other people on this website, not a whole seller.

Sounds to me like you just confessed to being full of it... not that I care lol

imo those zoas still look like regular old fast growing zoas. Trying to compare them to nuclear greens or some other rare zoa is silly. Maybe worth a good $20 for a nicely sized colony of 25 or 30... I doubt you paid much more than that for that whole rock covered in those things.

Archived