Top Shelf Aquatics

Never mount frags on shells......

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

This moring I woke up and walked out to look at my tank like I do every day, and noticed my blue paly frag was missing! WTF!!!!!

I began to search the rocks looking for where it might have blown/taken behind. The rock I have is cured now and I am almost sure I have removed all the bad hitchers, but I still fear gorilla crabs carrying away my frags.

I then spotted it, moving across one of the rocks! Am I tripping!?...No.....A stupid hermit crab decided that the shell the frag was mounted on was a better home than his old one. I quickly snatced him up and put him in a shot glass with another, slightly larger shell than the one the frag is mounted on. Hopefully he will choose the other shell by tonight. If not he will have to face a super glue sarcophagus, I dont know what else to do and I wont irritate/loose a $40 frag to a $.50 hermit.

Ahh the stresses of reefing.

O my...stress go away. :)

Ive gotten where I hate hermits anyways...I only use them in the beginning of a tank setup...then

they go to the sump...live or die.

Ive got one open half shell that has a frag on it...but it will take super hermit to move it off the rock.

The underside of the shell has at least 4 grams of superglue holding it B)

Izzue

one thing you could try is glueing the shell with the frag and hermit down to a tile or a small rock then put the empty shell you want the hermit in next to it and then the hermit will not be able to move and might decide to move to the other shell, at least this way you give the hermit the choice to live.

SeeDemTails

Awsome idea Jerome. Thanks!

I actually saw the crab without a shell the night before, and even thought he might find that frag, but I was like nahhh. But of course he did.

modularduck

i'm pretty sure that hermits are infact from the 7th layer of hell. good think i have a mantis now to deal with them the way they should be delt with. but i too can understand your frustration.

The Propagator

I gotta pic some were around here of one of my hermit crabs sporting about a 40 count green dragon zoanthid hat,

The Propagator

Because believe it or not the grew like they were on CRACK COCAINE while he was carrying them around.

SeeDemTails

He finally changed shells yesterday, and the palys are happy, and beleive it or not sprouted a new bud.

Haha that's happened to me too, I thought it was funny.

We should start a poll to see how many people it has happened to.

SeeDemTails

These zoas didnt grow at all for over two months. Since their ride of terror, they have sprouted two new polyps!

I have some greens floating around unattached, I think I might also do it again, this time on purpose, and see if it causes increased growth.

I noticed after a couple days of being carried around staying closed, they opened up anyway even while the crab was moving.

wont the coral on the backs of snails and hermits overgrow them and kill them??? O.o

thats a pretty cool trick tho...at my LFS i saw a turbo snail that was 7" tall....u can fit quite a few shrooms on there =p

FLcracker94
Don't do it on a snail do it on a crab.

Yea, a snail will take it out of the tank lol.

That sound pretty hilarious...I gotta try it on my hermit when I get more corals lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd leave the coral on the hermit. It would be such an incredible conversation piece. Plus I don't have the heart to kill a little crab. He probaly thought "Wow, this house is perfect! Look at that architecture!"

Archived