Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live Rock in a Biocube 8

whofeelsitknowsit

whofeelsitknowsit

Hello all,

I am new to the sport, but I feel like I have already learned a ton just from reading your posts on this forum. I got a new biocube 8g on ebay last week ($129 with free shipping!), and I set it up over the weekend. I made the standard modifications that I've been reading about -- heater and lr in chamber 1, lr and chaeto in chamber 2 (I still need to set up the fuge light, though), maxi-jet 600 with hydor-flo in chamber 3.

My question is this: Conventional wisdom seems to be that you put 1.25-1.5 pounds of live rock per gallon. Is that right? I put 11 pounds in the tank, and it seems to have taken up the entire tank. There is not much room for anything else...

Just wanted to see what others have to say about how much live rock to put in there. I'll post some pics when I get home from work.

Oh, and thanks to everyone on this forum for inspiring me to start my own nano reef!

It is if you plan to put large corals, such as a brain or plate, or larger zoanthid colonies. If you stick to small frags, you'll be okay.

My personal preference would be to take some out.

fw2sw-wannabe

I put in 11.5# in my 10 gallon AGA. I wanted to put in 15#, to have 1.5#/gallon, but my LFS thought it might be too much. They were right, for a change!

Here's my tank a month after set-up, to give you an idea.

FTS.jpg

I think it depends on the density of the rock. Atlantic rock has fewer crannies and weighs more for it's size. Fiji rock is more porous and hence less dense.

I still wonder about swimming room for my fish, once I get them. :scarry: You may be wondering the same! I vote for you to take out a piece, or bust some up and put it in one of your back chambers, if there's room.

I vote for you to take out a piece, or bust some up and put it in one of your back chambers, if there's room.

I'll vote against busting it up for the back chambers in favor of that space being used for a refugium - much more efficient use of space. ;)

whofeelsitknowsit

Thanks for the responses. I already have some live rock rubble in the back chambers, and a refugium as well (well, I left space for the refugium, but I am still waiting for chaeto and need to set up a fuge light).

I think you guys are right about having too much rock, though. I think I will remove the top piece and break up the middle piece into two or three. I will rearrange them and see how it looks.

Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...
whofeelsitknowsit

Well, I finally got around to re-aquascaping. I broke up some the really big rocks and took some out. I think it looks a lot better this way. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Here's what I have now:

SecondSetUp1.jpg

SecondSetUp3.jpg

SecondSetUp2.jpg

I like it too. You'll be ok with less rock. Just imagine that you'll have to add all the LR bits that come with the coral later.

Archived