SaltCritters.com

How much flow on 12g?

coachfraley

coachfraley

Hey Everyone!

I have a 12g cubemasters. I am running it as a FOWLR for now. I have a minijet 606 (159GPH) as my filter pump, with a Hydorflo attached.

Would that be enough flow for a FOWLR? I didn't know if most people with the 12g cubes are adding powerheads.

I also assume that if I was going to add some shrooms or polyps, I would need to at least add something like a MJ400?

Thanks in advance!!!

RobinsonFam1

the 606 is only 106 GPH according to the one sitting in front of me.

my ap 12 gal came with a 160 GPH pump which i upgraded to a maxijet 600 with the same flow but 1/2 the wattage.

at 160 GPH my tank blows sand and nothing sits still which is what i want. i know that alot of others are using the MJ 900 too.

BR

coachfraley
the 606 is only 106 GPH according to the one sitting in front of me.

my ap 12 gal came with a 160 GPH pump which i upgraded to a maxijet 600 with the same flow but 1/2 the wattage.

at 160 GPH my tank blows sand and nothing sits still which is what i want. i know that alot of others are using the MJ 900 too.

BR

http://www.aquariumguys.com/minijet606.html

The maxijets won't fit into my cube, it has 4 chambers that are about 3"x3". Are you using just a stock "head" on your outlet, or do you have some kind of wavemaker? I don't know if I should keep the hydorflo because I've heard it cuts the flow by about 10%.

the maxijet 606 is rated at ~159 gph. the maxijet 404 is rated at ~106 gph.

in my 12dx, i currently have a maxijet 606 attached to a hydor FLO and a maxijet 900 attached to a locline fitting with dual duckbills. currently at 390 gph.

The 606/404 is actually the Mini-jet line.

I have the Maxi-jet 900 in my NC12g with Hydor-flo and actually think it's weak.

coachfraley

Thanks for all the comments!

For now, I am just going to take the hydorflo off of my minijet, so that I get the best flow I can. I will probably add a maxijet 600 to the system as well. I am a little concerned about temp. problems with 2 pumps going, so I will probably have to put it on a timer to run during the cooler parts of the day.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the comments!

For now, I am just going to take the hydorflo off of my minijet, so that I get the best flow I can. I will probably add a maxijet 600 to the system as well. I am a little concerned about temp. problems with 2 pumps going, so I will probably have to put it on a timer to run during the cooler parts of the day.

Thanks again!

Well,

Actually I have an Orca TL 450 with a stock c.a 200gph pump, I recently added a Seio 820 powerhead and the flow seems to be just right - sure I get lots of sandstorms when I don't point it right, but when I point at the LR or the back wall it's magic. I'm thinking of changing to a Hydor Koralia but I don't really know - I like my 1020gph in my 12g NC.

Archived