Innovative Marine Aquariums

Smallest tank for a dwaft lion?

WilliamDuBose

Looking to start over fresh with a FOWLR.

I want to set up a 20L with a live rock wall on the back affixed like http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...0&hl=puffer

Would a dwarf lion be happy in such a tank if it was the only inhabitant of the tank(besides maybe a few softies)?

Thanks

William

A dwarf lion will grow up to 7" long and needs at least a 30g tank minimum. I have a dwarf lion in a 30g with a 10 gallon sump. These fish produce a lot of waste and need a good skimmer and plenty of rocks to hide behind. The more water the better. The little guy wouldnt do well in a 20L and would effectively be swimming in about 12-14 gallons of water after you add sand and rock. Spring for a 30 at least or better yet a 40 breeder or a 55. Then you could add a small eel or another interesting tank-mate. :D

Also the Antennata lion is comprable in size to the dwarf, about 7". The radiata gets a couple inches bigger. I'm happy with my dwarf though (he's the zebra not the fuzzy type), very beautiful and a little cuter than the volitans you see in every LFS.

WilliamDuBose

Thanks guys. I guess ill spring for the 40 breeder or the 40 tall. Plus it just gives me an reason to add more things later.

Thanks guys. I guess ill spring for the 40 breeder or the 40 tall. Plus it just gives me an reason to add more things later.

Go with the 40 breeder, more surface space. I actually think that a 40 breeder is also the ideal size for a mini-reef to. Its a great all around tank.

Personally if your gonna be going bigger I would go with the 50-55 gallon because then you could have a dwarf lion in there and an eel and both of them wouldn't mess with your corals.

Archived