Macroalgae in tank?

stacey

I just recently (this week) set up a 12 gallon eclipse that I want to have just a fish or two in it, along with a small CUC. I don't plan on putting any corals in there. I guess my question is, can I put macroalgae in the tank? I have a fuge for my 40 gallon, so I thought that maybe I could steal some of the extra chaeto and put inside the 12 in order to keep the nitrates down. I wouldn't mind setting up a small fuge for it, but I have space issues, not to mention the fact that I cannot figure out a way to modify the eclipse to put chaeto in the filter.

You can but beware. Chaeto in the main tank will oftentimes break off small strands that clog your intakes and litter your sandbed. Consider an in-tank fuge or hust not having any. On a 12 gallon, your water changes will be sufficent maintenance to control nitrates.

I want to have just a fish or two in it, along with a small CUC. I don't plan on putting any corals in there.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

:haha: :haha: :haha:

bubbles3660
I just recently (this week) set up a 12 gallon eclipse that I want to have just a fish or two in it, along with a small CUC. I don't plan on putting any corals in there. I guess my question is, can I put macroalgae in the tank? I have a fuge for my 40 gallon, so I thought that maybe I could steal some of the extra chaeto and put inside the 12 in order to keep the nitrates down. I wouldn't mind setting up a small fuge for it, but I have space issues, not to mention the fact that I cannot figure out a way to modify the eclipse to put chaeto in the filter.

In my BC14 I use a little plastic soap holder for my chaeto. When it gets too long I give it a haircut and drop the excess on the substrate. My emerald crabs do the rest w/ no clogging problems.

--bubbles

My ultimate goal one day is not a tank full of corals. I love what I have now, but I stuck a ton of chaeto in the back.

I want those to grow...and I would love to have a tank with just a few large MASSIVE balls of chaeto.

Green pulsating stringy orbs of awesomeness.

I love chaeto.

RayWhisperer
My ultimate goal one day is not a tank full of corals. I love what I have now, but I stuck a ton of chaeto in the back.

I want those to grow...and I would love to have a tank with just a few large MASSIVE balls of chaeto.

Green pulsating stringy orbs of awesomeness.

I love chaeto.

OoooooooKayyyyyyyyyyyy.... You, my friend, have issues. :huh:

Stacey, it'll work fine. Just be prepared to clean your intake regularly, as Oregon said. Perhaps a different type of macro would suit you better, considering it'll be in the display. Anything but Calurpera.

BTW, welcome to N-R.com

Thanks for all of the help. :)

Well, I stuck a small handful of chaeto in the tank today. I just put it in a clear plastic soap holder (like for a shower) underneath the light for now. I think that I may just leave it in there for now, and maybe eventually modify it so that there is more flow. I think that I can drill a hole in the side of the holder and mount a small powerhead to it, so that the chaeto would be getting more flow. Would that work okay?

I am curious to see how long it will take for it to bring the nitrates down. They usually get to about 15 before the water change, so they are really that bad, but I would like to see them stay a little lower. The tank is only a bit over a week old, but I am pretty sure that it is already cycled. I used cured live rock, sand, and water from my 40 gallon to set it up, but I am going to let it mature for at least 2 more weeks before I even try adding any fish to it. I did steal some of the hermits from my 40 when I set the 12 up, and they are doing great.

RayWhisperer

Sounds good. Definately wait a while.....

I wouldn't put a power head through there, at most, just point one in the general direction(from farther away). Macros pull more nitrates through lower flow.

Sounds good. Definately wait a while.....

I wouldn't put a power head through there, at most, just point one in the general direction(from farther away). Macros pull more nitrates through lower flow.

Thanks again for all of the help. :)

I think that I will just drill a few more holes in the container and then move it so that the water coming out of the filtration will be going towards the container. The container came with a bunch of small holes, but I don't think that it is going to allow enough flow on its own.

strangelove

There are a whole bunch of macro algaes to choose from to decorate your tank. Chaeto is better for refugiums or sumps, all you can do with chaeto is float it or jam it behind some rocks. There are a bunch of websites that sell really nice macro algae that look more like seaweed and look great as decoration. Since you are not going to be adding coral to your tank, get a bunch of different macros and make it into a pipefish or seahorse tank. I've been thinking about making a nano cuttlefish tank myself. Heres a illustration of different marine macros.

macroalgae2.JPG

Archived