Top Shelf Aquatics

HELP!

crad190

ok so my tank is running really hot. during the day it's upwards of 86-87 :o

i have a 24g NC DX with stock hood (if that matters)

I know i could buy a chiller, but i was wondering if there was a less expensive way to the temp down?

Prop the top of your tank open and have a fan blowing at the top of the water You'll need an ATO to compensate for evaporation.

Open the feeding lid and blow a fan across the surface. Evaporation will cool the water a few degrees. Also, if you're still using the stock pump replace it with a more efficient maxi-jet.

the pump isn't a problem

but when i top it off since it's losing the water not the salt should i top off w/ salt water of RO water?

the pump isn't a problem

but when i top it off since it's losing the water not the salt should i top off w/ salt water of RO water?

Top-offs should only be done with RO water (no salt). If you top off with salt water you will be increasing the specific gravity of the tank.

As for the temp, I have also been having a little trouble with my new eclipse 12 too. I have been turning the lights off during the hottest part of the afternoon (usually from about 2 till 5 pm), cracking the hood, turned up the a/c, and I have also had a fan blowing on it. It had been running from 85-92, but it has not gotten above 80 since I did all of the above. I hope that it helps you too!

thanks

though should i just save and purchase a chiller though?

Depending on where you live... and how hot it gets / how long the heat lasts it may be a good investment.

I'm able to lower m temps in my BC29 by opening the back cover and blowing a fan inside. I think I have too strong a a fan (mini desk fan from Wallymart) and if I'm not careful it will lower my temps 10 degrees.

I need an aqua controller or something similar to kick my fan on and off.

Maybe its stoopid, but I actually make ice cubes with the water. Heat is only an issue for me for 3-4 months. If the tank gets too hot, I just drop 1-2 cubes in the back ( 1 cube is about .5 degrees for me). Eventually that cooled water does heat back up however. So I may do this 2x in one night. Not a great long term solution, but a cheap temporary one. I guess another way would be to use regular water cubes in a bag that you would float.

Chillers are not cheap unfortunately, and they generate ambient heat/ and noise to the room. If you don't mind a bit of a Frankenstein look, and can afford it get one. Luckily the alternatives are cheap - a fan, and using cubes will work too.

I had heat problems in my NC12DX. I tried several cheaper options but ended up buying a JBJ Nanochiller. Works great. Worth the $$$.

ya the only problem is i'm a poor high school student so i think i'll try the fan and ice cube method.

but i live in SoCal so it get really really hot! :angry:

I feel your pain. I just had to suck it up today and buy a prime in line chiller because my tank was running too hot. Its expensive but its well worth it. At least you wont have to worry about temperature fluctuations.

try the fan first. $20~$30 investment plus the ATO cost (which is almost a necessity anyways imo). fans are definitely a necessity during summer months though.

also, if you're running a heater you might want to unplug it or turn it down. either cancelling any "on" time at night or eliminating it during the summer months.

the fan can be very effective though. for instance, i had to re-plug in my heater this past weekend (it's been very mild for June this year) as my fan was actually bringing average temps on my display tank below 75F.

Archived