Fuzzy Dwarf Lion?

stacey

I added a fuzzy dwarf lion to my 40 gallon tank (I know it isn't a nano, but I am looking for some advice) on Friday, and I haven't been able to get it to eat yet. It is still hiding, but it is so small that I am afraid that it will die if it doesn't eat soon. I have tried small guppies, but I almost think that they are still too big for it. My b/f bought it for a surprise, so I am pretty sure that he did not ask the lfs if it was eating or to see it eat before he bought it. I have had experience with voltians, but this is my first dwarf. The params are all normal and stable (ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-5, specific gravity-1.023, pH-8.2, and temp-78), and it has been running for 6 months with 40lbs of pre-cured live rock and 30lbs of arag-alive sand. I don't have any other fish in the tank that would pick on it (only a small pair of true percs). Does anyone have any tips are ideas? I am just at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

have you tried mysis shrimp?

Not yet, because my lfs is out. I should know better than waiting till I out before I get some, but they are supposed to get some in tomorrow. Do you think that it will eat them if I just squirt them in front of it (like with a turkey baster), or should I try to hand feed or use tongs? Like I said, I have experience with voltians, but they are usually really easy to get to eat live foods and train to eat frozen.

Oftentimes, acclimating lions need to be enticed with some live food. I fed mine some guppies when I first acclimated my Zebra Dwarf. Guppies can survive in the salt water and the little guy gets a chance to hunt them down and get comfortable eating in his new home. Then try enticing him with a mixed fare of quality frozen foods like silversides, krill or mysis. SF Bay brand and Hikari both make good frozen foods. Buy a variety because you don't know his taste. Plus having several frozen foods is a great way to diversify their diet and keep them healthy. Mine eats SF Bay carnivore frozen blend and then I give him some silversides or krill in place of every third meal. Sometimes I'll get him a guppy as a special treat but live feeder fish, especially goldfish are not a good source of nutrition for lions regardless of what your LFS says.

firstly, tell your b/f to buy you gifts that arnt alive.

dwarf lions need to be trained on ghost shrimp before they will eat frozen food.

The fish died last night. :( Thankfully, he didn't pollute the tank at all before I got him out. Hopefully, he won't buy me any more fish just out of the blue like he did this time.

Archived