Pod Your Reef

Which float switch / dosing pump for my kalkwasser system?

Krib

Well... as setup day for my new 20H softie tank gets closer, I've been looking at kalk / ATO setups.

I always used gravity drips in the past, but I really don't want to do that again. So I'm thinking I'll do a dosing pump that triggers from a float switch.

Not having played with either before ... does anyone run something like this, and like what they're using?

Pretty much what matters to me is:

- Keeping the whole thing around, or better yet under, $100

- Reliability (!) I'd love to avoid anything that'll wait til I'm at work, stick in the on position, and do a week's worth of kalk in ten minutes.

I've looked at the Litermeter, and can't afford it right now. Same with the Tunze Osmolator. That DIY setup at floatswitches.net is kinda wacky looking. What I come up with in my price range is:

- The Aqua Medic Niveaumat system

- A Tom's Aqualifter pump and an Ultralife float switch

I lean towards the Aqualifter / Ultralife combo for price reasons, but worry about reliability. Anything I'm missing that I should look at?

Any input welcome.

You shouldn't use a float switch for kalk unless you have a controller of some sort to monitor pH. JMHO. Other than that I would say save up for the litermeter or an osmolator as these are proven to be reliable, although anything can still fail.

You shouldn't use a float switch for kalk unless you have a controller of some sort to monitor pH. JMHO. Other than that I would say save up for the litermeter or an osmolator as these are proven to be reliable, although anything can still fail.

I don't know, I dosed kalk off of evaporation rate for years, and never had a problem with pH. It's when you dose beyond the evap rate that problems usually arise. But thanks. I can't do those pumps, though I'm sure I can find something that'll work out.

what about a jbj top off unit? just hook that up to a small powerhead or one of those aqualift pumps by TOM that are like $14 bucks.

what about a jbj top off unit? just hook that up to a small powerhead or one of those aqualift pumps by TOM that are like $14 bucks.

Anyone round here ever used one?

I was looking at it, but seems like it's just a fancy controller for the same float switches I could buy separately. Though I could be wrong about that.

I don't know, I dosed kalk off of evaporation rate for years, and never had a problem with pH. It's when you dose beyond the evap rate that problems usually arise. But thanks. I can't do those pumps, though I'm sure I can find something that'll work out.

besides evap rate the pH control is also for backup in case the float switch fails or stays on longer than it should but if you get a reliable system the chances decrease. I think the jbj has a fail safe and its much cheaper than tunze or litermtr.

besides evap rate the pH control is also for backup in case the float switch fails or stays on longer than it should but if you get a reliable system the chances decrease. I think the jbj has a fail safe and its much cheaper than tunze or litermtr.

Oh, you mean like if it overdosed, the meter would sound an alarm when pH climbed too high. That wouldn't be bad to have.

Seems like the JBH 2 float setup would be good, now that I look more closely at it. I could put one at the sump water level, and then flip one over and put it an inch or so higher... so that if the first fails, the second stops the flow.

Anyone know if the JBH float valves are suction cup? If they are, I'd probably just silicone them to the side.

Anyone know of a difference between the JBH and the Reef Fanatic level controller? Other than the Reef Fanatic is an older product?

Archived