Pod Your Reef

bunch of critters

alexmurovec

alexmurovec

ok so when i first started up my tank i had a mantis shrimp in it, which i removed before i added any corals or fish. now lately after purchasing corals from different places, i've noticed that there are many little tiny baby looking mantis shrimp all over my rocks. now i know there are things called copepods or something that are beneficial, but how do i know it is these and not tons of baby mantis shrimp? i really dont know how baby mantis shrimp would have got into my tank but i guess everythings possible. these critters are extremely tiny maybe 3mm at max, and yesterday i saw a molt of one floating around in the water. i do have cheato in a HOB fuge so i dont know if they are coming from there or not. now that i think of it, my flow isn't reduced maybe they are gettin pushed into the tank? i sure dont know, but i know some of you will. thanks in advance.

alexmurovec
If they look like anything on: PODS they're pods.

problem is they are very small and i can barely see them...but i'll take a look into it

alexmurovec

ok well so far so good i guess...they crawl on the rocks and are fairly skiddish and fast...its just they are to small for me to really identify them to the pictures.

I'd get a jewelers magnifier glass or something. Otherwise 90% of the time when you see little bug things scurringing around your tank they are pods and a good sign of a healthy tank. other way to look at it, if you did have thousands of mantis shrimp, they bring pretty good cash selling them ;) lemon aid from lemons. But yeah pods

Archived