Pod Your Reef

bleaching corals

zerocool84

I've read a lot about people bleaching coral. I know what bleaching is but I am not sure if it is bad for the coral. Is it possible to get the color back? I have a biocube 8 with the stock 18W lights. That won't bleach my bubble coral will it? And last, just got a new blueish-purple mushroom today...that won't bleach will it? It's towards the top of the tank.

I've read a lot about people bleaching coral. I know what bleaching is but I am not sure if it is bad for the coral. Is it possible to get the color back? I have a biocube 8 with the stock 18W lights. That won't bleach my bubble coral will it? And last, just got a new blueish-purple mushroom today...that won't bleach will it? It's towards the top of the tank.

It's very bad for the coral. Most of a corals food comes from the photosynthetic zooxanthellae in their tissues - so when they bleach (by expelling those photo...), they lose a lot of their ability to feed.

They can get their color back - it just takes a LOT of work - optimal lighting and water quality, along with regular feeding.

Your bubble coral may bleach from lack of light - they don't need a lot, but 9w of pc lighting isn't much (the actinic side doesn't really count - it provides no useful light to the coral, only for your aesthetic pleasure).

The mushroom should be fine.

when we say bleaching, pretty much means that part of the coral died and it's tissue that gave it color pretty much went away leaving either a skeleton or a colorless mass of dead tissue. It's all about tank parameters, for example your correct using a mushroom coral with your current lighting. Mushrooms don't need a lot of lighting. although it could bleach or die in other ways. if your pH is too low/acidic you will want it around 8.2-8.6, Salinity 1.022-1.026, Ammonia 0, Nitrate and Nitrite 0. If your new to this stuff you might want to look into a book to help you out. I like the book "The new marine aquarium by Michael s. Paletta" You will have spent more money on fish you killed. Of course some people just use the forums and that's fine too. Just from the way you asked the question I assume you have little knowledge of tank parameters and there's nothing wrong with it, that's why we are here. also temperature fluctuations can hurt a coral. once a coral start to bleach on the most part it's VERY hard to bring it back. Keep on reading these forums and learn from others mistakes and you will be fine.

It's good to list your tank specs in your signature so people don't need to keep asking for that information.

Also, Big thing join a local reef club! You will be able to view other peoples tanks and setups having time to ask questions.

http://www.nano-reef.com/clubs/

when we say bleaching, pretty much means that part of the coral died and it's tissue that gave it color pretty much went away leaving either a skeleton or a colorless mass of dead tissue. It's all about tank parameters, for example your correct using a mushroom coral with your current lighting. Mushrooms don't need a lot of lighting. although it could bleach or die in other ways. if your pH is too low/acidic you will want it around 8.2-8.6 Salinity 1.022-1.026, Ammonia 0, Nitrate and Nitrite 0. If your new to this stuff you might want to look into a book to help you out. I like the book "The new marine aquarium by Michael s. Paletta" You will have spent more money on fish you killed. Of course some people just use the forums and that's fine too. Just from the way you asked the question I assume you have little knowledge of tank parameters and there's nothing wrong with it, that's why we are here.

My parameters are alright. I just had the wrong definition for bleaching in my mind. I thought too much lighting caused the coral to lose coral. Hence, my quesiton of whether my light would "bleach" the coral. My bubble looks fine, eats, and seems pretty happy. Thank you for the help with the detailed explanation of bleaching.

when we say bleaching, pretty much means that part of the coral died and it's tissue that gave it color pretty much went away leaving either a skeleton or a colorless mass of dead tissue.

Everything in that was good except the above. The tissue is not dead if it's bleached. It simply does not have symbiotic algae to give it color.

:o Opps ya got me! Broke out my "Corals by Borneman" book it's definition is

bleaching: the process in which a coral expels some or all it's zooxanthellae in response to stress, resulting in the coral appearing white or less intensely colored.

I hate to be called wrong but that's what we are here for *high five*

Everything in that was good except the above. The tissue is not dead if it's bleached. It simply does not have symbiotic algae to give it color.
:o Opps ya got me! Broke out my "Corals by Borneman" book it's definition is

I hate to be called wrong but that's what we are here for *high five*

;) I got your back.

Archived