Innovative Marine Aquariums

My first 10g

Mathew

Hi. My four week old 10g reef got its first sarcophyton sp. yeasterday. It migth be a S. elegans.

Anyway its 2,5 inch wide.

I got two questions. My mushroom leather coral smells. Not bad, but yeah in a way like terrestrial mushroom does(it this commen), and second, when finding a stable placment, how important is it to wedge it into the LR such that the old contact zone get in contact with the LR ?

Thx

Hi. My four week old 10g reef got its first sarcophyton sp. yeasterday. It migth be a S. elegans.

Anyway its 2,5 inch wide.

I got two questions. My mushroom smells. Not bad, but yeah in a way like terrestrial mushroom does(it this commen), and second, when finding a stable placment, how important is it to wedge it into the LR such that the old contact zone get in contact with the LR ?

Thx

Well, after reading the chapter about care and handling in aquarium corals by eric borneman and the chapter that concerns sacrophyton is is clear that this sp. are realy awsome. "the best way to multiply them would be to push one thru a meat grinder". Sow with only placeing one inbetween to LR or using elastic band.... the coral will after time grow stuck to the LR.

Regarding the smell, it prob i just what it is, a leather mushroom coral afther all. :lol:

i don't know about "meat grinding" these to prop :unsure: but you can propagate them successfully with very small pieces. but tank/water quality, stress-level, and conditions are all factors in successful propagation (just as with any other coral actually).

the advantage of sarcos comes from their significant body mass (fat reserve as i like to call it). this allows for a larger cushion of error versus some other corals.

there are a number of other "pro" factors too. as you learn about the genus, you'll see similarities and some differences. most species are relatively hardy so you're likely to get a specimen that's not going to be too troublesome.

if you can post a picture of the sarco, we may be able to point you towards some suggestions (if it's old enough or distinct enough to ID). hth and :welcome:

travisurfer
Just for your information, sarcophyton are refered to as toadstools, quite different from mushrooms.

common names are widely disputed and some toadstool sarcos are in fact called mushroom leathers. what is a toadstool after all? its a type of terrestrial mushroom. ;)

mathew, tiny is definitely the most knowledgable guy on these forums when it comes to sarcos so he can really help you out. i agree though, a pic is worth a thousand words.

Hi there all off u :-)

Did not know off the sacrophytums fat reserve (that was nice to know, but it looks as its symbiotic algea is producing engergi, ill have it in mind though that it can look ok in not perfect conditions for a while...)

I have not figured out why it smell though,,,

And the foot (pedal) is cind of jamed, twistet) I hope that when i remove the rubber band.. the coral will cary its own weigth.

I just took this picture. And regarding the colours iam atm using 50% blue and 50%white ligth.

IMG_0010.jpg

Did not know off the sacrophytums fat reserve (that was nice to know, but it looks as its symbiotic algea is producing engergi, ill have it in mind though that it can look ok in not perfect conditions for a while...)
well, it's probably not "fat" technically. the sarco will shrink slowly over time using body mass/fat versus starving quickly. its symbionts produce (probably) most of its energy requirements but i believe they also feed.

as for the sarco frag, i often wait until the rubber band starts to degrade before removing it unless i can easily see it's attached. maintain your ca/alk levels and limit your organics, it'll help quicken attachment.

and thanks trav, for the vote of confidence! :happy:

what kind of lighting do you have in there? it doesn't seem very intense. most sarcos prefer a intense/strong light.

imo that lighting is insufficient. 2x11W for that size/shape tank is too low.

maybe 2x32W would be enough for that layout.

the other corals that i see in there seem to be low-light requirements but the sarco isn't likely going to be happy. jmo.

imo that lighting is insufficient. 2x11W for that size/shape tank is too low.

maybe 2x32W would be enough for that layout.

the other corals that i see in there seem to be low-light requirements but the sarco isn't likely going to be happy. jmo.

Yeah, I`ll give it a go anyway, and ill give you some updates on progress when changes appere.

Feel free to comment if u think of something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some updated pictures. The sacrophyton seems to do well. I am adding 0.5 coral food from salifert every day. And regular wather changes as well.

Corallinales have started to grow.

post-29184-1184029234_thumb.jpg

post-29184-1184029957_thumb.jpg

I have now added a 12v 60mm fan and a new Micro-Jet 450.

I attached the fan using silicone and it blowing wind outside-->inn, just where the water flows over into to filter.

The fan has decreased the temperature with 5 degrees Celsius, or 41 degrees Fahrenheit

My MJ pump was fit to pump counter clockwise, the opposite off the tunze pump.

post-29184-1184188709_thumb.jpg

post-29184-1184188732_thumb.jpg

Archived