Coral Vue Hydros

Great Prop disks!

BibleSue

I have been using the frag plugs from Ocean Wonders till Mvite mentioned the frag plugs from Chief Reef. You get way more on egg crate with those plugs!!!

Before picture (the 2 colonies on the right side of the top shelf)

DSCF0825.jpg

After

DSCF0846.jpg

Close up

DSCF0847.jpg

I fit all but about 3 plugs & 4 disks 0f 10-20 polyps back on the top shelf

Here is the lower shelf with frags on mostly the other type or disks & rubble.

DSCF0848.jpg

I'm going to have to sell some stuff soon to make room for the blues & the stuff I got from the Rev that are in the quarantine tank.

The things from Chief Reef are pretty smooth on top so Mark told me to rough them up & score them with a tic -tac-toe to help the glue stick better.

MVITE-THE PROPAGATOR'S PROPAGATOR!!! :wub:

...........where do you get these chief reef plugs?

i was actually about to go get some ocean wonder discs but if mvite suggests it it must be good...

...........where do you get these chief reef plugs?

i was actually about to go get some ocean wonder discs but if mvite suggests it it must be good...

You get them from www.chiefreef.com. Mvite also uses Ocean Wonders for certain applications. I have both & will pick & choose as I frag stuff. I just looked in the before picture & you can't see how large the back colony was. It is longer but not as dense as the front one.

Cool. Nice pics.

Thanks! I'm still learning my new camera.

Helfrichs Chick

Hum, can I ask why the disks? Is it just because they fit good in the crate? I am setting up my first prop tank, FINALLY lol, and I personally want to use rubble. JMO but im not into the disks at all. Just wondering what the advantage is to them vs. rubble.

Hum, can I ask why the disks? Is it just because they fit good in the crate? I am setting up my first prop tank, FINALLY lol, and I personally want to use rubble. JMO but im not into the disks at all. Just wondering what the advantage is to them vs. rubble.

I felt that way at first. I even have LR rubble in the bottom of the tank (most of it is in the chambers in the back) but found that it took up WAY too much real estate. I like the looks but it is easy for people to pop them off the plug & glue them where they want when they are on the plugs. You will see on the lower shelf that there are frags on rubble. If a cut comes out too out of shape to lay flat on a plug & I don't want to risk my fingers with the dremel, I will glue to rubble.

Do you have a quarentine tank? I found out quickly, that I need to receive EVERYTHING in that way. Even things that look clean on arrival can surprise you. I always dip my zoos that come in. I have a Wally World 10g with an Aquaclear 110 w/skimmer for high flow. Most of the rubble is in the AC. I have some more to add to is when I get the blues out of there & also some chaeto. I use Poly Filter when I have things in the tank. It can stop problems I don't even know I have & I don't have to change it as often as the Wally World stuff. More $$ but I have $$$ in the tank!!! :lol:

I plan on upgrading my prop tank to a 24-30" square tank in the fall for more room. A 24g Nano bow front is a pain to try to get good close up pictures. :wacko:

let me know when you want to sell some of those frags! :)

Most of the stuff on the lower shelf is ready to move out but I will be out of town next week. When I get back, I will be ready to ship so keep an eye out. I am still trying to get good clear pictures that show the true color. New camera!!!

Helfrichs Chick

Yea all good points. I am gonna start with rubble, see how much of a PITA it is and decide then. My new tank is 54gallons. I have a TON of room for frags and made my 4 tier frag rack to maximize surface space. I also am thinking I will need a QT tank, especially for Zoas. I get wild colonies from one of my suppliers and they are always pretty nasty. I agree a 10g will be needed for QT of misc corals. But hey I have a WHOLE PROP ROOM now!!!! Whooo hooooo!!! Anyways check out my prop thread give me any input! Thanks! http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123601

I wouldnt waste time on rubble.

the first time you chop up something expensive and think it is secured to find it the next morning rolled over and your prized frag mushed.

I use the same plugs from chief reef and i must say the work great for small stuff!

Rubble isnt the way to go in a prop tank.....I use disks as they make the tank a lot more organized and they wont blow over cause they stick in the egg crate....Not to mention you can get a lot more frags in the tank with plugs than you can with irregular shaped rubble

I prefer the larger disks though...Im not a fan of the smaller ones

Helfrichs Chick

UGH. ok ok ok I guess I will start with both. Just hate the look of plugs lol. Seems to be the best thing to use thou. Thanks all.

Archived