Innovative Marine Aquariums

zero edge aquarium

moonlightxpress825

i am really inclined to get one of these..would there be a flow problem or lack of??

I'm with you moonlight but I can imagine that it may turn into a red slime nightmare due to deadspots.

moonlightxpress825
I'm with you moonlight but I can imagine that it may turn into a red slime nightmare due to deadspots.

yeah..thanks for the reinforcement

They are running a sale on them, the guy posted the other day. I think they run a mag 18 so the flow should be pretty good. You might even be able to rig up some tunze rocks or something somehow too.

There is a LFS that has one setup. You couldn't pay me to have one.

Fish jumping, having to hang a pendant, evaporation like crazy, possibility of something falling into the tank, etc....

You can hardly even see through them with the water running over the edge plus they are big $$$$.

There is a LFS that has one setup. You couldn't pay me to have one.

Fish jumping, having to hang a pendant, evaporation like crazy, possibility of something falling into the tank, etc....

You can hardly even see through them with the water running over the edge plus they are big $$$$.

If you can't see through it, they don't have it set up correctly, or it hasn't been up long enough to stabilize the flow pattern.

Aquatic Critter in Nashville has one - beautiful setup, overflow is very smooth, viewing is amazingly clear.

Exotic Aquatics in Baltimore has a clam display in one (at least, thats what it was in March), again very nice setup, very clear viewing.

Personally, I don't mind the pendant - it's a modern look on a modern looking tank. They also have a 3-sided version - you can use a clamp style halide on it. But thats all a personality/aesthetics thing.

Evap isn't really an issue - if you can afford the tank, you can afford the ATO for it, and the water to go in it.

Stuff falling in is a concern, but you can always take the drunken parties elsewhere ;)

The price, however, is a bit off the charts for me.

I've seen one in person and I wasn't that impressed mainly for reasons that have already been stated above. I think for the money (actually probably like half the price) you could get one of the new Oceanic tech tanks that have starfire glass. Much cooler in my opinion.

I have always thought they looked cool to look at, but probably not something I would want to own because of the price and extra responsibilites that were listed above.

bubbles3660

Esthetically I think they look amazing. I would love to turn one into a top view clam tank. But you'd need to devote a large space to keep the look clean. You couldn't just shove it up against the wall. You'd want 360 degree viewing capacity. And the price sucks. And the evap rate must be murder on those things. Could you even fit a top-up system with the sump in the base? Hmm. Maybe if I had too much money and time on my hands. :)

--bubbles

I've seen one set up with an LED light upgrade (which was weird, but the color was pretty amazing), and it was very impressive, actually. The view through the side and through the top was crystal clear.

As long as you don't do any jumping fish, and I see snails being a problem too...

It is a very expensive set up, and it seems more for a fancy business than a home, and I agree with bubbles that you'd want al ot of space to have a 360 degree view - not just shoved in a corner.

Esthetically I think they look amazing. I would love to turn one into a top view clam tank. But you'd need to devote a large space to keep the look clean. You couldn't just shove it up against the wall. You'd want 360 degree viewing capacity. And the price sucks. And the evap rate must be murder on those things. Could you even fit a top-up system with the sump in the base? Hmm. Maybe if I had too much money and time on my hands. :)

--bubbles

They have a 3-sided one now if you want to shove it up against a wall ;)

Yeah these tanks are AWESOME!!! I saw every single model of them at MACNA last year. You can easily see through the sides too. Its really cool because it also allows you to see it from the top-down. Just gives it a cool perspective. Very sleek and an amazing design. I would buy one if I didnt already have 2 tanks!

Hope this helps you.

-texx

Archived