Coral Vue Hydros

How to kill zoa eating nudis ?

DudE31

Well I noticed that my new zoo colony had been closed for a day or so. So I figured something must be bothering them. Well after watching the tank I noticed that my cleaner shrimp liked to sit on them. I was going to move them today and then I noticed at least 3 zoo eating nudis. I also see a ton of eggs. Now here is my question HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM ? or should I just cut my losses and toss the zoos out before it spreads to my other colony ?

Fresh water dip.... at least 15 minutes or more, tweeze off the eggs.

Really, fwd all your zoas and examine them for egg swirls they are probably there.

Then be prepared to repeat that for the next month of so as they continue to pop up.

There is an interesting thread here regarding the use of flat worm exit as a dip as well... look for it.

well I did a fw dip for about 15 mins ... lost about 30 or so pods and about 5 nudis ... didn't see any eggs and zoos looked so angry but I hope they will be ok. I think im going to wait another few days before another dip. Anyone have any other suggestions ? ... it sucks that those nudis eat zoo becuase they look so cool :D

...just to be clear... this is using FWE as a dip treatment on individual corals and not using it to treat the whole tank.

haha ... i did poke one in the face and he curled up ... don't worry I WAS WEARING GLOVES ... some of the crap in my tank is unreal though ... from the bristle worms to the mini serpent stars to these guys .. i just wish the cool ones weren't so bad for the tank :D

I can't have nudies running around my tank. I have grandchildren here all the time!!! :lol:

I have used FWE in combo with Reef Dip on zoos & it has not harmed anything. I have never tried to treat a tank with it. Just my .02 :D

ive heard some bad things too about FWE but every story ive heard the person didnt really follow the instructions very well and another thing is flatworms contain a LOT of toxins and if you have an infestion of them and use FWE you screw over your entire chemistry

its not the FWE that kills the tank its the toxins released from the flatworms

When I first stated collecting zoas I got a nice colony from a LFS that was full of nudis and I didn't know. I had no choice but to FWE the whole tank after I found out how many nudis I had found compared to what they can destroy...

I dosed 3x the amount rec on the box and did as they said otherwise...shortly after I did a water change and added purigen/chempure.

upon a closer look i saw some eggs :( ... but im going to hope the fw dip will have messed them up and i am going to remove them tomorrow ... I have to go to a reptile expo first :D:D

haha dude.

i have the same problem, its easy, use tech D and dip your zoos in it with FW then rinse with tank water. the techD will kill the nudis but not the eggs, so you still have to keep your eyes peeled, and its easy to spot nudis because just look for the zoas that are closed for no reason.

shaggydoo541

I battled the nudis for a long time. They are the biggest pain and I tell everyone to try and avoid them like the plague... keyword try. Look at colonies you buy at the store or wherevever and scrutinize them for any sign of nudis, once you have them you know what to look for.

If you get nudis. fw dips are fantastic, but they do NOT kill eggs and usually do not kill all nudis either (unless you dip for like 30 min and then you risk killing the zoas).

I got rid of mine by a few steps; 1) Syphoned out every nudi I could see every day (mulitple times a day) with a turkey baster and also while doing water changes. 2) FW dipped every loose colony I had as often as I saw nudis on the colony. And finally 3) I just got luck. I stuck with number 1 and 2 steps and just prayed because most of my colonies were on rocks I could NOT fw dip. GOOD LUCK!!!

I see no more NUDIS :D ... but the zoos still aren't open. I did check them at the store but not as carefully as I usually do. But some good news ... a little off topic but I went to a reptile expo today and picked up my first crested gecko :) ... unsexed partial pin light harlequin for 180 $ ...

Archived