Top Shelf Aquatics

Macro

halfpint

Took this just a few minutes ago, changed the contrast a little in Gimp, and here she is! What do you guys think?

5zh2hoz.png

shaggydoo541

Honeslty I kinda don't like it. At first it looks great with the eye in focus like that but then it fuzzes out too fast for me. But then again what do I know? The more I look at it the more that eye draws me in though.

I see what you're saying. Just a little more depth of field would have been nice. Thanks for the input. :D

Could use just a bit more DOF. Also, take note of the composition, it's pretty dead in the center. Try moving it off center to get a more dynamic composition.

Shoved your original edit through CS3 to get a bit more light into the frame (picture looks underexposed).

frog.jpg

I like the lightened version. I think that's a fantastic start regardless.

I like your composition and agree that moving the focus to the side, maybe to the eye and have it fade off from there, would be nice. Make it your own, you've got a good eye, refine and run with it. :)

Could use just a bit more DOF. Also, take note of the composition, it's pretty dead in the center. Try moving it off center to get a more dynamic composition.

Shoved your original edit through CS3 to get a bit more light into the frame (picture looks underexposed).

frog.jpg

Whoa! Big difference. Thanks for the tip. What did you do in CS3? I have CS2 (need to upgrade). Did you just bump the brightness, or did you use "curves" to modify the brightness?

Also, thanks for the DOF and composition tips. I didn't even think about the DOF not being high enough. I'll have to bump up my Fstop next time.

I like the lightened version. I think that's a fantastic start regardless.

I like your composition and agree that moving the focus to the side, maybe to the eye and have it fade off from there, would be nice. Make it your own, you've got a good eye, refine and run with it. :)

Thanks. :)
STRINGCHEESE

Depth of field is not all it's racked up to be. I like your picture. I like the short focal plane as well. I would have added a fore ground and a background to give the illusion of depth like my clow contest pic. This is what IMO makes macro pics so difficult. My Nikonis has a wire macro "framer" frame that screws into the body of the camera to put the subject literally into. I was using it in Cozumel when a morray bit my finger. At 60 feet I bled green!

Archived