Cultivated Reef

5gal 13watt?

skabooya

Well actually its 4.89....gal. I found one post that said i can use a 13 watt PC bulb over a 5 gal if i only have zoas and shrooms which is all i want and that is a maybe. I am mostly interested in the inverts and the LR, and more than likely some feather dusters and if possible some macro algae. Would 13 watts be enough or should i stick to FOWLR but without the fish lol and just have inverts like sexy shrimp and hermies :)

I don't think that's enough lighting and if you are referring to the spiral compacts you lose over half of that from restrike or blowing off.

So then my option would be fowlr and just have my hermies, shrimp, snails and feather dusters... and possibly some non photosynthetic corals.

Would I be right?

Just 5-8lbs (more if i need it) of LR, 2-3 blue leg hermits, 2-3 sexy shrimp OR 1 cleaner shrimp, and a few feather dusters (with feedings). This set up should be fine with only 13watts of PCs correct?

No fish and no corals. I didnt mention that this tank would end up in my classroom under my care and not my students. But they would get to see the activity of a simulated tidepool with all the little crabs and shrimp and feather dusters :)

That should work fine, but you may want to look at the Coralife 20w 50/50 PC screw in bulb. More light and the colors would be more pleasing I think. I would also suggest throwing in a couple of cerith or astrea snails to help with algae control.

Good luck.

Archived