finally some corals!

alexmurovec

alexmurovec

after searching for awhile i finally found some decently priced corals :D i ended up getting 8 zoo frags and 3 ricordea frags. they just arrived today and i definetly imagined zoo's being a bunch bigger than they actually are :lol: most frags are around 5 polyps...and polyps are around 1/4" diameter. anyways, i was hoping they would fill out one main area in my tank over time. after seeing how small they are, it seems like it would take years. so my question...how long does it take for zoo's to multiply polyps and what not?

polyp growth has many different factors but the one thing ive noticed day in and day out is that theyll start growing once theyre acclimated to your tank

usually then theyll take off

it took about a month for one of my palys to start growing and now that it has im constantly seeing baby polyps sprouting everywhere

just try to keep the params stable and theyll start growing once theyre happy

EtOH_is_good

buyer beware. if the sellers made you think that the pieces were going to be bigger then start complaining here. we want to know before we buy.

alexmurovec
buyer beware. if the sellers made you think that the pieces were going to be bigger then start complaining here. we want to know before we buy.

um what are you talking about? i am saying that i always imagined zoo's being bigger than they actually are as i have never seen any in person.

Damn man...did you get ripped off with those 'mini-zoos' too :P

Hate when that happens :)

edit - congrats on your first coral! Now that you have some...well...be prepared to never have $ again.

Set up a prop tank...its the cool thing to do. Then join everybody in trading :P

alexmurovec
Damn man...did you get ripped off with those 'mini-zoos' too :P

Hate when that happens :)

edit - congrats on your first coral! Now that you have some...well...be prepared to never have $ again.

Set up a prop tank...its the cool thing to do. Then join everybody in trading :P

woah woah....were you being serious saying the zoo's i got are actually smaller than regulars? by the way, i have some gsp, frogspawn, and a yellow leather...but i really only like the gsp because its the only colorful one. these new zoo's are definetly going to add some wham to my tank. i got 8 zoo frags and 3 ricordea frags for 280 CAN including shipping which was 50....good deal?

woah woah....were you being serious saying the zoo's i got are actually smaller than regulars? by the way, i have some gsp, frogspawn, and a yellow leather...but i really only like the gsp because its the only colorful one. these new zoo's are definetly going to add some wham to my tank. i got 8 zoo frags and 3 ricordea frags for 280 CAN including shipping which was 50....good deal?

POST PICTURES OF THE DWARF ZOA'S!!!!

Uhm... "little zoa's" is probably more politically correct.

and yeah.. he's kidding - note the smileys

alexmurovec
POST PICTURES OF THE DWARF ZOA'S!!!!

Uhm... "little zoa's" is probably more politically correct.

and yeah.. he's kidding - note the smileys

ok good....guys had me worried

i'm not gonna waste my time taking pictures of the half opened zoos right now...plus my lights just went out...i'll take some pictures in a couple weeks when they are starting to grow and post them on my tank forum...that thing needs an update :lol:

corals all the way from ontario? lol how bout a few places more local that are imo GREAT stores.

oceanaquatics.com -Wendell runs it and is a great guy.

hiddenreef.ca -love this site because mike only posts pics of the actual specimen.

jlaquatics.com -J&L is known for great customer service and stellar with shipping stuff.

Yeah when I ordered my first zoo's, not really knowing how big the polyps where. I was kinda disappointed! lol

alexmurovec
corals all the way from ontario? lol how bout a few places more local that are imo GREAT stores.

oceanaquatics.com -Wendell runs it and is a great guy.

hiddenreef.ca -love this site because mike only posts pics of the actual specimen.

jlaquatics.com -J&L is known for great customer service and stellar with shipping stuff.

i only have experience with jlaquatics....all their corals are on big chunky pieces of rock and nothing they have is really sized for a nano tank. i've checked out the other two websites and their prices are pretty high compared to the prices i had with this guy in ontario. i dont know, it all worked out and i got some colorful corals so i'm happy.

Yeah when I ordered my first zoo's, not really knowing how big the polyps where. I was kinda disappointed! lol

haha ya it is kind of a disapointment.

Wait till they recover and take off. You'll be happy!

And find that macro setting on your camera...

:)

BTW, I agree on the mail-order size problem & nanos! Hard to cram many rocks into a 5.5g (my situation). I have much more fun scouting lfs tanks to see what might have broken off the big pieces...

alexmurovec
Wait till they recover and take off. You'll be happy!

And find that macro setting on your camera...

:)

BTW, I agree on the mail-order size problem & nanos! Hard to cram many rocks into a 5.5g (my situation). I have much more fun scouting lfs tanks to see what might have broken off the big pieces...

exactly my point...and with this guy who i bought from the pieces of lr rubble were seriously like less than a quarter inch big....it was nice for once :lol:

alexmurovec

my lights came on a couple hours ago and some zoos have opened up but some have not...the ones that have are very dull colored as well...like some pink ones look brown...is this normal?

Archived