SaltCritters.com

while the trank was crashing I found this

Blacktone

Since your tank crashed. Would you like to head out to Buffalo's Reef for some wings and beer? Its located on Eglin Parkway across from Uptown Station in fort walton beach.

Bristleworm, I have one too, same red body color and white hair

mine is 3 inches long, he eats dietrus, and dead things, I left him alone.

Well still tending to the tank, if your up for tomorrow I"ll be fine. Don't know if what happened qualified as a crash. I've lost one skunk cleaner shrimp so far.

Don't think it's a bristle worm I spent a little time running around some ID sites and haven't found it yet. Don't bristle worms have little hairs that they shove into your skin from their head? Odd thing is most of my rock was base rock I only had about 6 lbs of live rock to start with back in November so it's odd he came out of no where maybe he's just a really good hider cause I've ripped the sump apart plenty of times and never saw him.. I have him that little temp setup till I get a confirmed ID on the bugger.

Don't think it's a bristle worm I spent a little time running around some ID sites and haven't found it yet. Don't bristle worms have little hairs that they shove into your skin from their head? Odd thing is most of my rock was base rock I only had about 6 lbs of live rock to start with back in November so it's odd he came out of no where maybe he's just a really good hider cause I've ripped the sump apart plenty of times and never saw him.. I have him that little temp setup till I get a confirmed ID on the bugger.

"Bristle worm" is a term applied to many diverse spp. But from what I can see in your pics, yours doesn't look very hairy...well, in the literal sense anyway!

I look forward to following this thread!

Meanwhile, kind of a long shot, but does it look like any of the worms on this site?:

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/%7Esweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

Lug worm, maybe?

--Diane

well It still in that container, I put a hard tube in there with a piece of live rock. he seems to have slowed down with the flying all over in the container. Hope he doesn't croke on me before I figure out what he is. I mean he flys though the water, would be cool to have him if I can figure out exactly what he eats and such.

Indeed, nothing beats a confirmed ID!

However, if it's been quite a while since you added anything new he could have hitched along on, and if you hadn't noticed any unexplained damage or disappearances, then the chances are pretty good he's just a detritivore or scavenger...

Well I did have some snail deaths, but I suspect the shady hermit crabs. They like to kick the snails when their down. then take their home.

Not yet a smoking gun, then.

I wonder if your unknown critter is too freaked out to eat? You could try offering it fish food...Or maybe there's some stuff on the live rock for him to eat?

I'd suggest a snail, but that might not be very sporting...

p_86525.jpg

????????

Well there are millions of different worm species,but I would suspect somthing like a penut worm or eunicid worm species.

it's more of a fine set of hairs than sharp points to propel it though the water. He's faster than my sixline wrasse

Sounding more and more like a Eunice worm. The LFS had a 4' long black one that lived in the 75g with the triggers and angels they had for sale - it'd swim like crazy if you took out his piece of rock. Came out of a basketball-sized mushroom colony they fragged up.

It's not going to live very long but go ahead & put him back, he's harmless. That's an epitoke in the polychaete family Nereididae. At this stage it's not going to eat anything. Epitokes are the sexual reproductive stage. Filled with eggs or sperm the adults swim up from the bottom to release gametes. The spitokes of some species can survive to reproduce again but most nereids can only breed once.

Someone on RC told me this, seems right to me.

Archived