Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

mods to aquapods?

RobinsonFam1

RobinsonFam1

I just bought my son an AP12 and am having the usual heat issues.

Tell me if I am going down the right track here and correct me where I am wrong:

1) I plan on swapping the 160GPH stock pump to the mini-jet that is 106 GPH. Or should I go the MJ 400 or 600?

2) i plan on witching the act and 10k so the fan runs more. or just switching the wires on the set up.....

3) i dont like the way the water does not skim well so I plan on blocking the vents that are lower on the water intake side.

give me your opinions!.....i know...every one always has one :D

thanks!

BR

I used to have an AP12g set up, so I can give some insight. Firstly the MiniJet pump is way underpowered for the tank. You'd be cutting the flow down considerably with it, but about 40% if not more. Your best option is to swap out for an MJ900 pump which would increase your flow rate and turnover by 70pgh!! It also runs at about half the wattage of the stock pump, so only 8-9 watts compared to the 18+ watts of the stock pump, thus it'll still operate far cooler, and it's a perfect fit into the tank.

You can swap out the bulbs, but if you're good with wiring, then rewiring the fan for the actinics isn't a bad option either. Another thing you can try is making sure the stock fan is blowing OUT of the hood and sucking air in. Also cutting the inner slats of the vents can help considerably as well as adding a 2nd fan to the empty vent.

With my AP12, I too blocked off the lower grates of the 1st chamber to premote better surface skimming, it does help somewhat... Good luck!!

RobinsonFam1

i blocked the lower and middle intake vents which seems to help some but i think i was looking for dramatic results......didnt happen....

i threw in a maxi-jet 600 which has the same flow as the stock but 1/3 the watts. i am pretty happy with the flow since im not going full blown with this set up (my son is 8).

i did swap the bulb placement but am still noticing a ton of radiant heat. now the stock fan is making noise at start up....i will make the swap as soon as i can order new ones.

thanks for the help!

if anyone has any other ideas to help ap12 owners then chime in!

BR

RobinsonFam1

which size of fan goes into the aquapod? anyone know so i can order one without having to take the hood apart?

thanks!

which size of fan goes into the aquapod? anyone know so i can order one without having to take the hood apart?

thanks!

60x60mm And 15-20mm thickness is recommended. Stock is 20mm if I remember correctly. Get a ball-bearing fan if all possible, they are more durable and should last longer.

Archived