crazy nex projet: vortech diy!

Coyote

Hello,

I've redone all the wet parts using the ceramic shaft and bearing from an old marea 2400 (i think it's named SEIO 820 in the US) and this part is now quite good.

My last problem is from the motor. I was using a chinese 27mm brushless motor (low cost model) and the ball bearing make a lot of noise. I'm planning to use a 40 or 50mm motor also from scorpion; they are high quality motors and i expect a good result but i didn't find time to buy one and make the test for now...

DOAHH: what about your mamba motor. does it produce a lot of sound when running?

Have fun and keep me posted if someone make some test.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know of a few surplus websites that sell low RPM,high Torque motors that

are US made and are well priced.

I'm interested. We need a motor with about 3600rpm 60w+ and the lowest noise possible....

• 1 month later...

Any updates? Also, if you have any new videos, please post the ones with sound.

I have read all the previous posts. The Neo mags are adversely affected by heat, and will demagnitize as they are exposed to higher temperatures. this is a permanent degmagnitization so if the Vortech are get 160+F then this would not only fry the coupling magnets but also the motor magnets. IMHO adding a fan to the exterior of the pump is less than ideal ... more noise.

Curious though, Why use a BL motor? What not a simple DC brushed motor like a 380 size? No switching noise, can use PWM to control the speed ... what are the cons?

Guppie

Efficiency for one, and reliability. RS380 type motors are not ball bearing supported, and they don't respond well to being run at very low rpm like a brushless motor will. Plus, being brushed, they wear out over time.

• 2 months later...

PC fan? It was mentioned before, they make some really strong ones. PWM for PC fan speed control would be easy to setup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone looking for parts for a DIY I have a barely used Mamba 1/18 scale brushless motor and speed control that I want to sell.

fishdaddy0831
Anyone looking for parts for a DIY I have a barely used Mamba 1/18 scale brushless motor and speed control that I want to sell.

Did ou give this DIY a try then?

I'd change the title to controllable pump :)

Just because then it won't be flagged or closed down.

Did ou give this DIY a try then?

No, I wouldn’t try this. I originally bought it for a little rc truck I had. I only used it a few times before I sold the truck and took the motor and speed control out.

fishdaddy0831
I'd change the title to controllable pump :)

Just because then it won't be flagged or closed down.

1st rule of fight club is?

I'd change the title and we'd be good.

Firstly I want to build a "controllable pump thingy",

secondly how do I make the wet side ?

Short-pulse for good PE one minute, making smoothies with Jack LaLanne the next! Seriously though, this is rad.

• 5 months later...

Coyote (or anyone),

It has been a few months since the last post in this thread...

This is a great idea and something I would like to try myself with the limited knowledge I possess.

I already have an Emax CF2805 brushless motor and a Mystery 30A ESC

Motor spec :

Weight (motor only) = 0.9 ounces (25 grams)

Voltage = 7 to 13

KV = 2800

Current = 18 amp maximum for 30 seconds

My questions are :

1. What PSU would you recommend - would a 12v, 20A be ok ?

2. How do I ensure that I don't overload the motor and blow it, or is this unlikely with a small prop in water ?

3. What can I use to generate the PWM signal, something like a 556/pot circuit ? What are you using and do you have a schematic ?

Thanks for your help.

Archived