Coral Vue Hydros

crazy nex projet: vortech diy!

Coyote

So basically you circumvented the stock equipment to get it to fit ( removed the spacers ) and thats when they over heated and crazed the tank?

No. They are designed to not use the spacer for 3/4" tanks per Eco-Tech's explicit instructions. The spacer is to get the magnets at the correct distance on thinner walled tanks.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

Ah.. I see said the blind man.

:)

I jumped the gun..

So are the magnets that powerful that they need to be spaced on thinner glass/acrylic then?

typically yes, they are extremely powerful, although I have had a couple lose that attraction for some odd reason. If you accidentally allow them to make contact directly to each other, there is a very high probability of breaking the wet end because the force is so great.

Think about the engineering aspect of this: You want to provide a magnetic prop drive that works on multiple thicknesses of tanks...how do you do that? Cleaning magnets are sized for specific glass thicknesses right? Then you have to deal with variation...so it really needs to work in a range. Liek my 3/4" tank walls may not be exactly 3/4". They could be slightly thicker, or slightly thinner right? Kind of like buying lumber.

You know that fantasy you got about getting sponged down and groped by a hot blonde nurse? It's liable to be a nightmare when one of the two-tonners from daemonfly's hospital gets wind of your "special needs"

• 3 weeks later...
In the first video, you have an ampmeter that give you an idea of the wttage.

On the last test, the motor was drawing around 5amps, that's 60W.

Just a friendly observation.... 5 amps is a draw of 600 watts. just as a 15 amp outlet equals 1800 watts. Im going to assume you ment to put a "." before the 5 amp? that would equal 60 watts.

Regardless, great mod. As a suggestion maybe look at an electric motor with more torque and less speed, then you could use a larger prop and lower temperatures and noise?

Just a friendly observation.... 5 amps is a draw of 600 watts. just as a 15 amp outlet equals 1800 watts. Im going to assume you ment to put a "." before the 5 amp? that would equal 60 watts.

5amps at 120v is in fact 600 watts, however the motor is working off 12V DC, so that is in fact 60watts.

Yep, in this case i use 12Vdc not 120v... so it's actually 5 amp x 12Vdc=60watts

I can't imagine the temperature of the motor with 600w in it... waouuh...

Finally, i would never user 120Vac as we don't have in France: it's 220Vac...

I've just find a 51mm (61mm pitch) propeller and i will use it. that should slow down the motor and reduce the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

lets just hope the motor is outside.

anyways has anyone converted a small PC fan into this?

i want to try this for fun.

btw if u wire your wall-outlet in series you'll get 220v. my uncle's company does this since the equipment is European....

i just figured that a PC fan doesnt have enough torq. but i got these 10w power house PC fans that might be able to work. if it gets enough speed.

how do u guys make the propeller? the part thats in the tank? im trying not to add any metal or stuff like that.

i just figured that a PC fan doesnt have enough torq. but i got these 10w power house PC fans that might be able to work. if it gets enough speed.

how do u guys make the propeller? the part thats in the tank? im trying not to add any metal or stuff like that.

I am pretty sure he went to a hobby store and bought a prop for an RC boat. Other than that, I;m not sure exactly what size/type of RC boat prop he was using.

so the inside part is made of:

-a small length of pvc tubing diam. 50mm

-a magnet

-a M5 stainless steel screw

-some nylon nut

-2 PTFE washer

-1 RC boat propeller (any middle sized propeller will do as OCTURA 1435, 1440 ou 1445)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Just to keep you posted.

I've made a new test with a new brushless esc. This new one (scoprion brand) is really better than the first one: it can produce a pwm of 16 or 32khz instead of 8khz.

I've also made a new dry rotor which is better balanced.

This 2 mod have cut the sound by a factor 2 and now it's a lot more acceptable.

The test have been made in a 80 liters tank and we estimate that the max ouptut flow reached 25000l/h!!!

No problem at all with the magnet separating as in the first tests.

Unfortunately, i was not able to make any video of the test but i will make some as soon as possible...

I think I'm going to try this... I already have a decent quality brushless motor (Look up Mamba Maxx 5700) and it has an ESC... Now all I need to do is figure out how to wall power it and make the rest and... Ahh I'll just get started

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been wondering when one of us would jump in on this. I really don't understand why a Chinese company or other powerhead companies don't jump at this technology. Seems kind of ridiculous for something so simple to be so pricey and limited to only one company.

I hope your progress is going well!

Archived