SaltCritters.com

crazy nex projet: vortech diy!

Coyote

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No this is only a gearbox...

I'm using a RC airplane brushless motor of 150w with the corresponding ESC. This work very well but it's really noisy mainly because of the ball bearing.

• 4 months later...

This would be an awesome DIY!!!!

I really hope that Coyote hasn't given up on this. However, he gave us enough details to where someone else might be able to build from what he has done so far. If I knew more about brushless motors and how the controllers work then I would be willing to experiment. The magnets he used in the last test on page 1 are only about $2.50 each from here.

I actually looked for the $5 cdrom motor that he spoke of and could not find one online for that price. It seems like the main hurdle will be finding the right motor to use, one that is much quieter. Once that is done, then a decent looking plastic mount could be made to house the motor and magnets.

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

No i didn't drop the project but i had little time free lately.... I was even in holydays in your country LOL but now i'm back in France and i'm working again on the project...

I still have problem with the sound made by the pump so i've try to make a new stator without moving part for the motor but that involve making a new brushless controller card (and that's a lot of time...) If this work, there will be no moving part outside the tank and only one magnet...

Speaking of magnet, you absolutely need a diametrically magnetized one (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magdir.asp) with a diameter of 1" at least (mine is 30mm 1.18") so there is none available in kj magnetics.

As for the motor, you will find cd rom kit at gobrushless.com.

The Propagator

I bet your getting mass vibration and "chatter" due to not having a shroud around it to funnel the water in a central location to help smooth it out and the water is to shallow. Try it in a garbage can or a larger tank or rubber made tub or something so can work in a larger deeper body of water.

With a deeper testing tank and a shroud a LOT of your noise will be eliminated.

( but not all because of the type of motor your using)

This is a REALLY neat idea BTW.

Thank you for sharing this with us !

I can see MANY uses for this basic design for aquarium use.

Kalk reactor stirrer being the biggest. Especially with that controller for slower rpms !

I am going to try this my self. I have some ABS in I-beam form I think would work PERFECTLY as the support structure for the impeller shaft and stator housing.

Then all you would have to do is fashion a small water tight box around it with a thin back side and a rubber o ring fixed some how to act as a shock absorber. You may have to use a little stronger magnet to make up for the extra distance though? You can make your shroud just like the MJ mods shroud.

Now getting around the water contacting the stator is going to be a problem though.

I would buy a rare earth magnet coated with epoxy and use a pure stainless bolt and stainless shaft.

Then I think the problem would be solved.

EDIT: Never mind I just went back and read you will be using a ceramic shaft.

Something else to consider is mounting a fan on the outside as well.

This is what a Vortech can do to an acrylic tank:

CIMG2852.JPG

can you give a further explanation on what happened? Those look like cracks

The Propagator

That looks like some one used a magnet that was way to strong and let it "slap" together on thin acrylic to me. But hey it snot my tank and thats just an observation.

vortechs don't have that strong of magnets, but that would be my guess as well. I would also venture to guess that his vortech fell off and hit the acrylic but that doesn't explain the circle in the coralin. Either of these explanations would be more detrimental to a glass tank however.

But if it's heat, I don't buy it

Archived