SaltCritters.com

Sammy's 40 Breeder

sammy113

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats cool Glen. I would like to do the same with my T5's but is a little hard to find SPS here in PR and the few ones that LFS's bring are too expensive. Unfortunately theres no web site or US coral store that ships to PR so I can buy some colorful SPS. Also I;m a litle worried about the CA, ALK and OH levels needed to keep SPS healthy without a calcium reactor and Co2 tak and stuff... i don't wanna spend all that money in that. I've lots of tanks, even nanos with SPS without all this equipent and looks like they are doing great. I'm not sure how stable are those params. in my tank. I'm not a test every time guy lol.

Thats cool Glen. I would like to do the same with my T5's but is a little hard to find SPS here in PR and the few ones that LFS's bring are too expensive. Unfortunately theres no web site or US coral store that ships to PR so I can buy some colorful SPS. Also I;m a litle worried about the CA, ALK and OH levels needed to keep SPS healthy without a calcium reactor and Co2 tak and stuff... i don't wanna spend all that money in that. I've lots of tanks, even nanos with SPS without all this equipent and looks like they are doing great. I'm not sure how stable are those params. in my tank. I'm not a test every time guy lol.

From what I've read B-ionic is kind of like the poor man's calcium reactor. I've seen tons of reviews on the stuff, and people seem to love it. It's supposed to keep CA, ALK stable along with dosing trace and essential elements. I just started dosing B-ionic in my tank, and I also drip kalkwasser. I'm not really a test every time guy myself, but I will be for a while to make sure everything stays in check. If all goes well with the B-ionic and the addition of my new lighting I will be adding more sps to my tank. I've definitely caught the sps bug since all my new frags have been doing so well thus far. My two birdsnest frags are already showing alot of growth.

Wow thats awesome Glenn. I'll take a look at tha B-ionic thing because i also heard good things about it. I also use kalkwasser in my ATO. Good to hear your SPS is doing fine and growing. I'll try to find some nice frags here and try SPS. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a dead acropora that ordered along with fish but I had problems with the shipping so the acro died but hopefully the fish survive the 3 day trip in the bag.... Probably you saw it in another thread asking if its dead.

DSC05015.jpg

DSC04972.jpg

DSC04992.jpg

DSC04991.jpg

DSC04982.jpg

DSC05011.jpg

DSC04994.jpg

Don't call the police! The tang is just there because of the lack of the shipping, its not mine is for a friend but I couldn't left him inside the bag for a few more hours after 3 days there. Anyways my friend came the next day and took it. Now its in a 125G :D

DSC04950-1.jpg

DSC04962.jpg

Hey Sammy, what lighting do yo have over your tank? I've been thinking of a 150W MH HQI 10,000K with Actinic Supplementation...

Thats a 36" TEK T5HO 156W. I had a 150W 14K metal halide in my other tank before with no actinic but it was a smaller tank. When setting up this one i tough about staying MH but then I tough i needed to use 2 150's. I ended up buyin T5 since all I saw was good things about it and nice results so why not try it. I'm very satisfied so far with it and corals loves it. I noticed a nice growth in a month. 150W works fine with extra help of T5 or PC's. I think Glenn has 150 over his 40br with T5 supplementation. It has good coverage but he's upgrading to 250w.

Thanks aquakevem

Today I got 5 incredible frags! 2 Zoas frag (super bright orange and pink) the other is a Tiny toadstool with a pulsing xenia stalk free combo attached to the same plug :P and finally an orange monti cap and a purple tip acropora. Both SPS looked really healthy and the colors are awesome. I'm a little worried about the SPS but I hope they do fine. I don't have an Alk test but I'm gonna get one soon. Hopefully my weekly changes and kalkwasser top off should maintain the level nicely. So far my tank looks stable since LR and LS is with me for a year in my previous tanks. I'm really happy with this setup. I love the light and the corals seem to love it because I noticed a lot of growth since the T5's. I'll post tonight when i get home a few shots of the new corals and a little change in the rocks to have more space available for a few corals that I have in mind.

The koralia is #3 I had the 1 but a friend had a 3 and he wanted the #1 and I wanted a #2. I gave it a try and its a nice flow. It runs the tank from side to side and returns back like in a circular motion. I really like it.

As for evap. I have an ATO with a 2g reserve and it lasts around 3-4 days. A 6 bulb TEK couldn't work better than in a 40Br :D Its sooo wide you're gonna love it.

The coral in the upper left corner is a yellow leather. Actually the pic is rotated left. Here a better pic of it.

DSC04992.jpg

Well I decided to re arrange the corals to give a little more free space for a few new things I got (the ones that I posted and promised photos lol) and a new 12 headed green metallic torch and a beautiful elkhorn. Still don't have the pics because my cam had no batteries but hopefully tonight I'll post it. For now I'll show you the frags (2 of them). The pic is not the best, its from my phone and the frags still in the store. Obviously mines are the ones marked

09-25-07_13112.jpg

Great looking tank, I love your aquascaping. I am glad to hear you like the T5 lights. I am starting to set up a 40B myself and am leaning towards the 4 bulb Icecap T5 Retro kit.

Anyways, what skimmer are you using and how do you like it?

Thanks bassrace. Icecap Retro is awesome. I wanted an open top and sleek fixture hangin, thats why I chose TEK but if I would go with canopy, definitely Icecap Retro! I'm using an Odyssea Skimmer its working nice and pulls a lot of dirt. Really dark stuff not so wet skimm. A friend told me about modding it to a recirculating with a sedra pump.

Here are some Tease pics cause i've been working with some rescaping and I don't like it so far so I think i'm gonna stick to the old escape and re arrange some corals. Also the water is very cloudy so when it clears up I'll post FTS

Drip Acclimating my new corals. The torch has a feww heads :D

DSC05043.jpg

Elkhorn (I'm not acclimating chaeto I just used the water in the bag lol)

DSC05044.jpg

Purple Tip Acropora

DSC05038.jpg

DSC05050.jpg

Orange Monti Cap

DSC05053.jpg

DSC05067.jpg

Zoas

DSC05052.jpg

Pink Zoas

DSC05049.jpg

Pulsing Xenias

DSC05061.jpg

Baby Toadstool + Xenia

DSC05057.jpg

Elkhorn (Epoxy looks horrible but thank God its hiding now)

DSC05056.jpg

This is the Acropora that i receive "dead" I just let it in the tank and looks like its regenerating some tissue. Its not bright white anymore. Will it be able later to open the polyps?

DSC05066.jpg

Torch

DSC05055.jpg

Finally! The FTS and a new addition.

Unfortunately looks like I have a mantis or something cause all my fish died. They died suddenly from night to morning and I always saw them before the lights turn off at 12a.m. In the morning theyre gone. Al the hermits over and nassarius. The water params seems ok. I'm always hearing at nigh the damn clicking in the tank. It could be a pistol but it could be a mantis too. I;m so ####ed off. I'm not getting any more fish before I get that bastard.

DSC05070.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

DSC05074.jpg

DSC05076.jpg

DSC05078.jpg

DSC05083.jpg

DSC05081.jpg

DSC05084.jpg

DSC05082.jpg

Unfortunately looks like I have a mantis or something cause all my fish died. They died suddenly from night to morning and I always saw them before the lights turn off at 12a.m. In the morning theyre gone. Al the hermits over and nassarius. The water params seems ok. I'm always hearing at nigh the damn clicking in the tank. It could be a pistol but it could be a mantis too. I;m so ####ed off. I'm not getting any more fish before I get that bastard.

Any toughs? I really need advice. I don't know what kind of invertebrate could be. The sound could be a pistol but the cause of the deaths are a few. Any advice on how to "clean" the rocks or something? Damn! He just "click" so hard!

Archived