Pod Your Reef

Sammy's 40 Breeder

sammy113

I got all the materials to build the stand, so hopefully tomorrow i'll start with that. Made some minor changes with the design of the door. I wanted a clean front panel so thats the way i'm going... literally a plain front panel. No doors. The acces will be the whole panel. I found some cool kind of hinges that will hold the panel in place and also got 2 nice looking pullers. Now i'm debating between drilling the tank or not. I consider myself a nice DIYer but this thing scares me a little. It was hard to find this tank in Puerto Rico. There were only 2 in the whole island and when I call the LFS, they told me that they already sold one, so I got the another one. So, the thing is that is hard to find and I really don't want to mess this up. I know there are a "U" tube with nozzle but I don't want that. I prefer the clean look of the bulkheads with the nozzles. I was thinking in other way to use bulkhead+nozzles and tough about a false wall with all this stuff drilled in the acrilic (black or blue) that is easier to me to drill and make a surface simmer and probably a closed loop to add extra flow near the bottom. This will steal about 2" or 3" max of depth but the tank is 18" so is not big a deal. Tell me what you guys think

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is so far how it goes... Still need to stain the stand, drill the holes for the returns from the fuge. Probably take off the upper trim. Buy the lamp. Damn.... a lot of dinero involve. Anyway... here are the pics

2-26.jpg

1-25.jpg

4-16.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody. Today finally I ordered my TEK lights. Yea, I end up buying it. I was looking for advise about the novas but heard of some problems with ballast and the reflector thing, the bulbs etc... so I just buy it nice rather than buy it twice like some one posted. Its the 4 Tube TEK fixture with an Aquablue 12000K, Blue Plus, Aquasun 10000K and Super Actinic. All of them by UV Lighting. I can't wait to get the lamp! I'll post pics when I get it.

nice tank, I especially like the one in the back of the pic lol. Looks better...I wonder why....lol

Thanks. Thats my roomate's 125G. Actually he doesn't like it at all now... He just started his first nano reef and now sees the 125 "dead"

Those of you guys running only one MH on a 40 breeder, how how did you have it?

I only plan on running 1-150W MH HQI on mine and plan on building my hood about 12" high, and i figure the reflector is about 4", so I have about 8" above the actual water surface.

You guys think this is high enough to get rid of any dark spots in the top corners?

You guys think this is high enough to get rid of any dark spots in the top corners?

I think you still gonna have some dark spots. Thats why I ditch the 150W sunpod that I already have and go with new lights.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpy! Now the water has fully cleared up. I'll post some new pics... also i bought a occellaris pair and they seem to be happy swimming around together.

I found a way to still use a single MH on a 40 breeder.

I am going to get a Lumenarc Mini reflector and a single ended bulb.

The way the design of the reflector is, I should have plenty of light spread.

I'm still going to build my hood 14", the reflector is like 6 inches thick itself.

Should be good. I hope.

Thanks

Actually nothing... they just stay in their place because they're connected to a 2" vinyl hose and then to a PVC tubing coming from the fuge...

very nice so far...the tek light is a great fixture.......also how does ur doors work on the stand?.....it looks like one solid piece....

since u made the stand urself.....u can also try making a short canopy to block out some of the light spilling over the top of the tank.....

i have a 50 breeder...similar to your but 2 inches taller....heres a pic....

fixture is the aquactinic tx5

Picture280.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

I like it smile.gif Very clean.

Btw, what that little fella doing in your refugium? Some kind of hawkfish?

Thanks.. Yes its a red spotted hawkfish... He's been aggressive to my blenny, killed my red lip and a horned blenny. Looks like he hates blennies. Also I've seen him bothering my clown so he is going in the fuge.

how does ur doors work on the stand?.....it looks like one solid piece....

since u made the stand urself.....u can also try making a short canopy to block out some of the light spilling over the top of the tank.....

This are the final design of my stand. The front panel is the door (the whole panel) I wanted to have that look of "no doors visible" and a solid piece of wood. I don't like canopies. I don't mind about the light spilling over the tank and illuminates my room. Hey I bought a fancy fixture to show off, not to hide it. lol

2-23.jpg

1-22.jpg

This is what I used to keep it in place and closed. I think its a ball tension catcher or something like that. The tension is adjustable too.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

My display tank has 40 ponuds of new LS... the old sand from my 16G was placed in my fuge to create a DSB and seed my new one up there. I also added about 10-15G of new water to fill the tank because of the upgrade. now i'm having a little diatom bloom I noticed in the sand in my display tank. Is it normal to happen this when upgrade or move the whole tank to a new one? What should I do?

My display tank has 40 ponuds of new LS... the old sand from my 16G was placed in my fuge to create a DSB and seed my new one up there. I also added about 10-15G of new water to fill the tank because of the upgrade. now i'm having a little diatom bloom I noticed in the sand in my display tank. Is it normal to happen this when upgrade or move the whole tank to a new one? What should I do?

Still wanna know about that.... Anyway, here are a few pics of the new corals and a few more actinic shots.

Nephthea

DSC04876.jpg

DSC04877.jpg

Candy Cane

DSC04878.jpg

DSC04879.jpg

Actinic:

DSC04875.jpg

DSC04882.jpg

DSC04883.jpg

DSC04884.jpg

DSC04886.jpg

DSC04887.jpg

DSC04888.jpg

The colors are not as it is... the camera makes no justice. They stand up a lot more and glows very nicely.

Hi guys. First of all. Looks like the clowns I bough last time were sick or something... they both died at the same time and all my other fish still alive. So I just ordered last Tuesday a pair of clowns and 5 small green/blue chromis. Here are a few pics of the tank and some new corals I got.

DSC04896.jpg

DSC04897.jpg

DSC04902.jpg

DSC04898.jpg

Nephthea

DSC04903.jpg

Recently bought candy cane

DSC04890.jpg

FTS

DSC04889.jpg

More shrooms

DSC04893.jpg

DSC04899.jpg

Heres a Video so you can see how fun the tank looks now. I like all the chromis swimming together :D

th_MOV04905.jpg

Last day I bought a Diamond Goby to stir up a little the sand and remove some detritus and stuff but that guy messed it all. Theres lots of sand mountains, holes in the sand next to the rocks, mushrooms covered in sand, rocks covered in sand. That guy even took all of my hermit crabs and piled them all in a corner of the tank (that was very funny) but it pi$$es me off! The water is cloudy because of the sand dust and I hate it. I really like the fact that the sand is extra clean now, very white. I've never had the sand bed like that but I don't like the dust in the water and the coral covered in sand. What can I do? Should I remove some sand and siphon out that dust. I have 40lbs of LS (two 20lbs bags) I was thinking in going BB but i like the sand for aesthetic. If I remove like 20lbs of sand, probably will this reduce all that sand mountains and hopefully some dust?

First are you sure that the Chromis did not kill your clowns? They get pretty territorial especially if they were added first. I think the Diamond is probably always going to be some what a pain in regards to sifting the sand. It may come down to the sand or he must go. Give it a little time to see if he settles down.

Thanks Spanko. This chromis where added together with the new clowns and so far they're doing great. So the first two clowns died before I got the chromis

Archived