Cultivated Reef

AquaC Remora Nano Skimmer or Canister filter?

likwid

Hey guys,

I am running a 10g tank with a powersweep powerhead, rio nano skimmer (garbage), 10lbs live rock, live sand, various corals, and clean up crew. Anyways, I'm getting hair algae outbreaks on my sand, and slightly on my rocks, so I would like to increase my filtration. Which would you rather have, an AquaC Remora Nano Skimmer or a canister filter? I will be upgrading to a 20g tank in the future as well, so keep that in mind too.

chrisdamage
Hey guys,

I am running a 10g tank with a powersweep powerhead, rio nano skimmer (garbage), 10lbs live rock, live sand, various corals, and clean up crew. Anyways, I'm getting hair algae outbreaks on my sand, and slightly on my rocks, so I would like to increase my filtration. Which would you rather have, an AquaC Remora Nano Skimmer or a canister filter? I will be upgrading to a 20g tank in the future as well, so keep that in mind too.

I've actually been doing a lot of research on different types of filtration for small systems... I'd go with the Aqua C Nano Remora Skimmer and a Refugium... costly skimmer, but well worth it... with those 2, thats should be all you ever need as far as filtration

go with a regular aquaC if you plan on upgrading (unless the upgraded tank is lightly stocked) You may want to check out tunze, heard those are good too.

Forget the canister, don't need it. If you want mech filtration, fluidized filter is better anyway. Skimmer is the way to go for now. As for the regular Aqua C, i have one on a 25 and I think it's too big for a 10g.

I run both in my 12 gallon. I have the Remora Nano Skimmer and a Fluval 150 filter. It may be over kill, but it works well. Plus the output of the fluval creates current and it was inexpensive on ebay

Forget the canister, don't need it. If you want mech filtration, fluidized filter is better anyway. Skimmer is the way to go for now. As for the regular Aqua C, i have one on a 25 and I think it's too big for a 10g.

Would you say its too big for a 20 gallon?

Would you say its too big for a 20 gallon?

Nope it would be o.k. for a 20g I think. I run it one a 25 after all. It's long though so make sure iit has room to hang below your tank.

Archived