Pod Your Reef

A wierd GHA situation...

MWafler

Ok, so I have a bit of green hair algae. I'm not afraid to admit it, I just thought "Ok I'll just keep pulling it out". Which has worked fine up till now when its decided to start growing on my feather duster. I can't remove it from him without destroying him, but I don't want the GHA on him to be the source for making more....Any ideas?

could you blow it off with a power head or siphon it off?

Naw, its really attached. I tired to pull some off and stopped in fear of ruining the Feather Dusters tube.....

circusordie16

if you eliminate the source of the algae problem it will stop spreading and the algae on your feather duster should die off eventually. try to eliminate nitrates and phosphates by water changes, making sure your water source is free of these, and maybe add some macro algae if you want.

is it only growing at the top of the tube? or all along the length?

if it's only at the top, i would just pull it off (carefully). even if some of the tube comes off (hold the rest in position) it's just the worm's housing. it can repair and rebuild it.

if it's all along it, try shading the duster to cut off most of the light or snipping/pruning it with a scissor. the latter is only a short-term solution but as mentioned by circus, you really need to address the source of the gha rather than the gha directly (as the best long-term solution).

is it only growing at the top of the tube? or all along the length?

if it's only at the top, i would just pull it off (carefully). even if some of the tube comes off (hold the rest in position) it's just the worm's housing. it can repair and rebuild it.

if it's all along it, try shading the duster to cut off most of the light or snipping/pruning it with a scissor. the latter is only a short-term solution but as mentioned by circus, you really need to address the source of the gha rather than the gha directly (as the best long-term solution).

Would any kind of macroalgae work or does it have to be cheato...?

Would any kind of macroalgae work or does it have to be cheato...?

Any macro would work, but IMO cheato is the best, though if its in the display I have some really nice looking red macro that I have been using in my DT (was a freebie, dont know the name of it)

Either way, macro will help with trates.

Any macro would work, but IMO cheato is the best, though if its in the display I have some really nice looking red macro that I have been using in my DT (was a freebie, dont know the name of it)

Either way, macro will help with trates.

This is only a 10 gallon tank so could a nano skimmer be an option to reduce nitrates....?

Archived