Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

pocollipora bleaching

mrabolli

too bad. I nursed him from a sickly frag. I have a nano outside and my iceprobe just wont/cant keep up with the high temps. I hit 88 yesterday. Maybe a new probe or a second one can handle the heat. I had my lights off for 3 days trying to combat the heat but that had negative effects on the xneia and the frags also. Oh well I guess hes almost lost.

bad time for the tank. My royal gramma got an internal blockage/infection b/c i didnt soak the pellet food he was eating. Then developed ich. He was in a hospital tank being treated but the dropsy got so bad I had to put him in a cup and freeze him yesterday. Now the 2 clowns have ich. they go into the hospital tank next.

my nitrates constantly remain high. The mangroves are big and fully mature but dont export the nitrates.

the other night my kalk solution started a siphon after the dosing pump shutoff and almost flooded my main tank. Needless to say PH went through the roof.

New MH bulb should be here today from Fedex. I went with a 15K bulb instead of the 10 I have now. Maybe this will aid in the temp but common sense tells me that a 15K will add more energy than a 10K temp bulb?

strangelove

I had the same problem with my MH lights overheating my tank, if your pushing 90 degrees your tank will be in for it. You need to shut the MH lights down until your weather cools down, forget the 15k bulbs for right now. Your biggest concern right now is temperature. If you have an old PC or CF light use that, get a big fan and face it at your tank, cooling the glass and getting the breeze over your water will help it cool down. Not sure what type of tank you have, but if its a Nano tank with a hood, remove the hood and raise it up off the tank at least 1' foot. If you have a light fixture do the same and raise it up off your tank at least 1' foot. If you've got extra pumps running in your tank, tun off as many as you can, but keep your filtration pump running.

Reduce everything that could be adding heat to your tank. If this doesn't work than you need to pick up a chiller pronto or your critters are going to cook. Overheating is probably the reason why your tank is doing bad, why ich is effecting your fish, as more things die in your tank the faster your water will foul that's why your nitrates are high. You might want to up your water changes to once a day. This can help control the temp as well. Store your new saltwater somewhere cool like the garage, in a closet and in the afternoon when it's hottest do your water change. If you can get the temp back down to 80 degrees your tank should be ok. Good luck.

I think the ich was from an internal infection/blockage from hard pellet food.

Clowns have a bit of ich starting b/c the gramma had it in the tank.

the pocoillopora bleaching probally is a result of the high temps and from no main light for a few days. The other small frag of the same type is doing ok but its polyps are deep brown (they always were) but are more elongated than usual.

the PH spike (still too high) could have been what caused the decline to begin with. In any case the high temps are really bad and at this point not under control even with the lights off.

tanks goes to 86-88 with no main light on.

the nitrates have always been high on my tank. Dont know why. I cant seem to find a nitrate sink or dead spot anywhere that is fueling it. I added a mangrove and mud area (small) to my HOB. Obviously the mangroves remove the phosphates but has done nothing for the nitrates. I want to try cheato in the fuge to keep trates down.

I try not to overfeed. 2 clowns is all right now. My sandbed has anaerobic bacteria converting some of the trates to nitrogen gas as I see a bubble off gas from the sand every so often. Its not enough. I dont have a permanent sponge, bio-balls, ceramic rings, or carbon or anything else that could produce alot of nitrates other than the live rock and live sand bed.

i actually have a 1/4 aquanetic AFC-3 chiller. been in storage for 3 years that Ive owned it. Bought it on ebay from someone that had it in storage for a long time b4 that. Problem is that I cant figure out how to plumb it. It has screw (bulkhead type) connectors for the intake and output. I dont know where I can buy some that will thread onto it correctly. I wrote an e-mail to the company that is selling Aqunetic parts now as the original company is out of business but have no reply from them. on their site there is no parts for the chillers. Ho Hum

Well I turned off the iceprobe since the one i am using is worthless. I directed a fan over the top and with the MH light on during the day the tank gets up to 84. High but acceptable. The frag has recovered. Looks great actually. I replaced the old 10K with a new 15K. Wish I had bought a new 10K instead. I hate the 15K. The white light off that 10K was so nice to look at. Guess Ill live with it for 6-7 months until its time for a new bulb.

My new favorite product= poly filter. I added one to the red sea skimmer media area and my water never looked so good. Really polished.

clowns show no sign of ICH for 2 days now. Well see what happens.

Ok I think the ICH has totally disappeared. This might be the only plus side of your tank hitting 88 degrees F for a few days in a row. I got the temp under control and my one bleaching coral is great again. Growing like crazy. This was actually easier than setting up the hospital tank and doing a hyposalinic/copper treatment.

strangelove
Ok I think the ICH has totally disappeared. This might be the only plus side of your tank hitting 88 degrees F for a few days in a row. I got the temp under control and my one bleaching coral is great again. Growing like crazy. This was actually easier than setting up the hospital tank and doing a hyposalinic/copper treatment.

Glad to hear that your tank is stablizing. What is the weather your seeing, what's the average temp?

Glad to hear that your tank is stablizing. What is the weather your seeing, what's the average temp?

Here in key west its high 80's or higher. Tough on the tank. Now just to get my Calcium and PH to come down.

Calcium is over 500ppm. Alkalinity is 11-12. PH is about 8.3-8.4

Archived