Pod Your Reef

New to Nano Reefs Questions about noise

jsb3

I am new to this forum, and new hopefully will be new to keeping a saltwater tank.

I have been looking at the different Aquapod models and I have a few questions...

Do the pumps run silent or is there a lot of background noise? (I would like to place this tank in my bedroom.)

Does the aquarium need to constantly have the hood lights on or LED lights on, or is it more of a 6 hour on 6 hour off cycle?

Will the aquarium put out any type of offensice odor if maintained properly?

Thanks for all of your help.

John

I am new to this forum, and new hopefully will be new to keeping a saltwater tank.

I have been looking at the different Aquapod models and I have a few questions...

Do the pumps run silent or is there a lot of background noise? (I would like to place this tank in my bedroom.)

Does the aquarium need to constantly have the hood lights on or LED lights on, or is it more of a 6 hour on 6 hour off cycle?

Will the aquarium put out any type of offensice odor if maintained properly?

Thanks for all of your help.

John

The stock pumps have pretty crappy output (as with all the all-in-one tanks), although fairly quiet. I would recommend that you replace the stock pump with a Maxi-Jet, which is also very quiet. My 12AP is 2 feet from my bed, and there's only a very slight hum at night.

There is no need to have the LEDs on ever, unless you want the moonlight or blacklight effect. The other lights should be on between 6 and 12 hours a day, depending on the aesthetics you prefer (how long and what times do you want the lights on for staring purposes), wattage and spectrum of the bulbs (increased photoperiods will help some for dim lighting or improper spectrum), and the algae cleaning you care to do (less light, less algae).

An aquarium should smell slightly like the ocean, nothing more. And it's usually only strong enough if you put your face next to the water, or right after you open the top.

EDIT: The smell from cycling the tank may not be pleasant, depending on the amount of die off that occurs on the rock, but will go away fairly quickly.

Archived