Pod Your Reef

First fragging complete

niccas9

How long should I wait between fragging the same colony?

I recently bought a mixed colony of zoas and i made my first fragging attempt. After researching and aquiring the needed tools I finally went for it today. I was planning on doing about 5-10 frags with 10 or so polyps (my colony probably has 300+) but i found it too be a little more time consuming than expected. I didn't want to irritate the mother colony too awfully much but i came away with frags. Within a couple hours pretty much all of the polyps opened. I was pretty pumped it was a success but was a little dissapointed because there were some areas that I wanted to clear but didn't get to.

I do not know the names of the zoas but soon I will post pictures and if anybody wants to tell me how to ship as well I will sell some frags for like .50-1.00 a polyp plus shipping. I just want to spread the love and i need to cut down one section in this colony so it can fit in my tank right. Thanks

How long should I wait between fragging the same colony?

Long enough for them to look happy again...or grow out enough to frag.

You can really keep zoas out of water for quite a while with no ill effects, just dip them back in the water every once in a while.

How to Ship a Coral Thread

Now where's the pics?!?!?! :)

Yeah I have read alot about zoas and their ability to be out of water for some time even so i was still paranoid and wanted to be on the safe side.

My whole colony pretty much opened up again within an hour and i just wanted to frag the remaining polyps that won't be receiving light the way I have it set up. You think this weekend would be a good time to finish? Like I said the colony took about an hour to look completely normal and the frags themselves took about 2 hours to open up but all are not looking fully recovered yet. Thanks.

Yeah - you won't have any problems with it this weekend. You could probably do it tomorrow with no issues.

My frags generally take a couple of days to look fully recovered, and then they sit in the tank at least a week to make sure they'll be fine before selling or trading.

They all looked really good today. I mean good for a first time fragging...there are a few sections where you can tell I am a noob and thought I should add copious amounts of glue but oh well. For the most part they look good and I was surprised that I have like 7 frags ranging from like 4 polyps to about 12-15 and I didn't even dent the colony yet. I am first trying to frag all of the polyps that don't get light with the way I have the rock arranged and then i am going to try to clear some space to give these gorgeous purple/blue speckled guys some room to expand. Once I get ahold of my wife's friends SLR camera then i will take some pictures. My wife's Kodak point and shoot just frusterates me soo much because I can't get a decent shot.

If you can give me advice on how to package these for shipping I would greatly appreciate it. I am hoping to wait a week or so with these first frags and try to sell them off for about 5 dollars a frag. I am new to the whole marine tank thing and I just want to break even. I have some really cool looking zoas though. Some have an orange mouth and a dark green outer area (not the skirt, but I don't know what to call that location) some are a little lighter on the orange (not too colorful) and then I have some with green skirt and a purplish blue center with little speckles everywhere and somehow i got some that seemed to cross and have an orange mouth with the purplish/blue area with the speckles and the green skirt (they remind me of tye dye). Well I hope I can learn to package these the right way so people can get live zoas. Maybe I will just ship within the state at first just to be safe (CA) Thanks for the insight and anything else would be appreciated.

post-28530-1182489292_thumb.jpgpost-28530-1182489282_thumb.jpgSORRY. I looked again and now I see your link to the shipping advice. Alright here are some pics but they are crap and they definitely do not catch the beaty of these guys. I really don't care about the names but I have no clue what these are, I looked on zoaid and couldn't find anything and I know it is hard to tell with the pictures. But the orange ones in the background are the others I fragged as well and will probably sell them all for like 5 dollars a frag with like 5 polyps of the pretty ones and 10+ polyps of the orange. What do you think?

Archived