inTank Media Baskets

My 3 gal Red Sea pico

sacjon

Still hoping to get some feedback on my earlier post about my Tom filter, but in the meantime I figured I would post the details of my tank and see what people think.

I got the Red Sea Aquavase Wave glass tank with the Red Sea 13x PC clip on lamp. I am using the Tom Aquatics Dive Clean Mini internal filter and just installed the Hydor Mini filter (not in pic below - will try to post new ones later tonight.) I also have a Coralife digital thermometer.

It has about 1" of live sand and about 1.5 lbs live rock (I'm picking up some more tomorrow.)

Here is a pic.

Any comments or suggestions?

post-10361-1182391938_thumb.jpg

avalanche1201

looking pretty good...ive also got a 3gal tank and I could only suggest right now is the possibility of making an AquaClear fuge mod....I got the 50 but I wish i got the 70 or 110 and trimmed down the props to help slow the flow to the desired speed...it adds water and a place for some cheato and LR rubble

hth

looking pretty good...ive also got a 3gal tank and I could only suggest right now is the possibility of making an AquaClear fuge mod....I got the 50 but I wish i got the 70 or 110 and trimmed down the props to help slow the flow to the desired speed...it adds water and a place for some cheato and LR rubble

hth

Thanks for the tip! Do you mean basically taking out the filter media from the AC50 and replacing it with cheato and LR?

Also, how much is too much flow for a 3 gal?

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

My problem is, I just measured my tank and the flat sides are 6.5" - the front and back walls are curved (hence the "Wave" design) so I need something that is small enough to fit those dimensions.

The AC Mini is the smallest AC filter and it is 6.5" wide. Looks like I am stuck with the internal filter I have :(

avalanche1201

the front and back are curved? hmmm...makes filters kinda hard doesnt it.

im sure the mini will be just fine, just make sure u have around 1.5lbs/gal of LR to help filter, and u should have a nice tank

^^^Yeah I agree. Its better on the side anyways because it circulates fully. You might want to add a little piece of plastic to the output so the flow doesnt go straight to the bottom and blow sand everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya right now I have aquaclear 20 on my deco 3gal. I just have a bag

of purigen in it for now. But im going to convert it to a fuge. I originally

had mine on the side. I didnt like it...I have a red sea nano filter I may

add on the side for a little more flow. But honestly I think the 20 puts out

a decent amount in a 3 gallon. I think a 50 or a 70 would be too much.

When it was first set up....

758532765_a922c0c090.jpg?v=0

Well I got a new AC50 off ebay for $20 but while i am waiting for it to arrive, I have added a Micro-Jet powerhead (by Aquarium Systems) for additional flow. Apparently, it works well because I got some zoo frags yesterday and they started opening within 10 minutes of being placed in my tank.

Here's the full tank shot - post-10361-1184129379_thumb.jpg

Zoos at 11:20am - post-10361-1184129438_thumb.jpg

Same zoos at 11:30am - post-10361-1184129530_thumb.jpg

We'll see how the AC50 works - if its too much filter for my tank I can always get a AC20 for $13.

Thanks for all the tips!

Archived