Coral Vue Hydros

zoanthids releasing black stuff out of it mouths. Help

Capt_Nemo

Hello everyone,

I need some help with my zoanthids. One colony of zoanthids is releasing some kind of black stuff from it's mouth. Is it waste or what is it? It is not doing well at all. One rock of zoanthid is already dead. Another rock is releasing this black stuff and it doens't fully open up. the skin of the palys are kind of wrinkle and not going well. Do you guys have any idea what wrong with it? I have other zoanthids colonies in the same tank and they are still doing well. I am worry that it might effect the other healthy colonies too.

I change water twice a month.

The tank is 37 gallons.

150Watt of double end MH (4 inches off of the water surface)

it is 17 inches from the zoanthids rock to the Metal Halide.

Any idea or suggestion?

I test Alkalinity with the salifer kit and got 10.5 for it

I test calcium and get 360 for it.

Thanks.

EtOH_is_good

what did you change?

my zoas have released stuff from their center without dying. the stuff could be waste. if you really feel that something must be done, check your sg and then do a water change.

is it solid or stringy?

they tend to release mucus every now and then, but they poop solid stuff..

NOW depending on what you feed them.. the color may vary I imagine...

reefman225gal
Hello everyone,

I need some help with my zoanthids. One colony of zoanthids is releasing some kind of black stuff from it's mouth. Is it waste or what is it? It is not doing well at all. One rock of zoanthid is already dead. Another rock is releasing this black stuff and it doens't fully open up. the skin of the palys are kind of wrinkle and not going well. Do you guys have any idea what wrong with it? I have other zoanthids colonies in the same tank and they are still doing well. I am worry that it might effect the other healthy colonies too.

I change water twice a month.

The tank is 37 gallons.

150Watt of double end MH (4 inches off of the water surface)

it is 17 inches from the zoanthids rock to the Metal Halide.

Any idea or suggestion?

I test Alkalinity with the salifer kit and got 10.5 for it

I test calcium and get 360 for it.

Thanks.

Are you sure its black or more of a brown colour? If its brown its just expelling its zooxathellae. Most of the time its normal. sometimes its bleaching. Has there been any changes in the tank far as new editions,lighting,ect... How long have you had them?

Archived