inTank Media Baskets

Perfect Fuge light for NC & Chaeto?

prisonspider

1 x 5w LED Fuge light

I beg to differ, This is hands down the best solution for running a fuge in the back chambers of AIO tanks. I've been running one on my tank and have had no issues, Other than trying to give away the extra cheato when it out grows the chamber.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the LED light from Ebay. It is really nice and bright.

I have the whole install on my 6 gal NC in the nano forum in RC, look under the same name. Check it out if you want. I did not submerge the light in the water because I would never trust the seal, and risk electrocuting my whole tank. Also, why add the unnecessary heat into the tank? I just mounted it to the back of my cube with some ghetto metal shingles from HD.

Here is the result...

713847424_61ba244ef4_o.jpg

Not too many people comment on my thread on the other forum, so I guess I did a good job of explaining the install. Hehe. Or it is just too ghetto looking. The LED is very direct type of lighting so the light spill is not bad at all, and I didn't want to encase the whole light because I don't want to trap the heat. I guess it could be an issue if you sleep with your nano, and you don't want any type of light spill.

wildernesstank

ya but those led are toooo much i just got a lap removed the base and taped it to the back of the tank and it works good , came out to 15 bucks at wally world

I use a 2x9 watt coralife mini fixture. I unplugged the actinic bulb and am running a 1x9 watt 10K bulb on my biocube. The results are fabulous!

prisonspider

My submersible LED has been working fine, but it occasionally needs cleaning (algea), which is kinda a pain. The submersible LED adds very little heat at all and I've been running it 18 hours a day.

I may opt for an over the top light instead eventually. Just need to find the right one.

I can't do a behind light setup as I do not have the room.

coachfraley

I had a cheap old 20" incandescent hood lying around, so I went and got a coralife 50/50 10 watt bulb (link below).

http://www.petco.com/product/11440/Coralif...or-50-Bulb.aspx

I hacked the bottom third off of the hood. Pried off the "end cap" of the piece of hood I cut off and re-attached it to my shortened hood. I drilled some extra holes in both "end caps" to provide better circulation and then velcroed the thing to the back of my 12g.

hood.jpg

I just need to add some weather stripping to help with the light spill.

I think it looks as good as any of the other hang on back lights, and all I paid for was the bulb!

Sorry I don't have pics of the operation, but my camera is broken.

• 3 weeks later...
prisonspider
I had a cheap old 20" incandescent hood lying around, so I went and got a coralife 50/50 10 watt bulb (link below).

http://www.petco.com/product/11440/Coralif...or-50-Bulb.aspx

I hacked the bottom third off of the hood. Pried off the "end cap" of the piece of hood I cut off and re-attached it to my shortened hood. I drilled some extra holes in both "end caps" to provide better circulation and then velcroed the thing to the back of my 12g.

hood.jpg

I just need to add some weather stripping to help with the light spill.

I think it looks as good as any of the other hang on back lights, and all I paid for was the bulb!

Sorry I don't have pics of the operation, but my camera is broken.

I considered this as well, but my old hood/lamp was a bit too wide, probably 5" instead of 3" I'd prefer.

For now I have my LED unit resting on top of a peice of arcrylic I cut to cover the back compartments of my 24

pics below;

led01.jpg

led02.jpg

Still looking for an small acrylic box to house the ballist and light in

Archived