Coral Vue Hydros

Algae Bloom

fishwater

I have a 29g biocube with stock lighting that I have had for almost 5 months with no problems. Over the past couple weeks my sand has been brown and now green and red hair algae is growing on the rocks. I have cut the lights back to 8 hours and acintics on for 10. I have also added sea gel. What else can I do to stop this problem from getting worse? I only use RO/DI water and tests are all reading within correct range. Can I cut the lights back anymore without hurting my corals? Should I add more of a clean up crew? I have 4 hermits, 4 astrea, 5 ceriths, 1 cleaner shrimp, and an emerald crab. Thanks for any help.

I have had some similar algae problems, its prbably phosphates that you cannot detect with your test kit. I just bought some Warner Marine PhosAr I just got it today and will be putting it in a media bag in a place with flow like my skimmer output.

strangelove

Sounds like you've got reef janitors in place, so grow some Macros and Mangroves in your tank and don't overfeed. Scrub off as much algae off your rocks outside of your tank in a saltwater bath when you do your water change. Stirring up algae in your tank just helps it spread. So what your doing is adding plants that compete for the nutrients in your water that the Algae are feasting on. Cleaning your rock is just good maintenance that will remove the algae, only way to get hair algae out. In a month your tank should be pretty clean and coraline will have an easier time growing on your rock. Once coraline is growing well then you should be good to go.

Archived