Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My new 120G

shaggydoo541

shaggydoo541

For my t5 you mean? I assume so. I've got 2 6.5k ge, 2 10k, 2 tru blues and 2 actinics. I'm going to change out the 2 10k for 2 superactinics when I change bulbs and see how I like it. Growth is phenomenal so I want to try and get more coloration and slow the growth down a bit so everything doesn't overgrow my tank.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you had any problems acclimating things to the tek lights? I'm trying to decide between the 6 or 8 bulb set up. I won't be sps heavy...just a few thrown in.

How about a new FTS? You haven't posted one since the beginning of this thread.

I may have missed it, but what skimmer are you using? I was thinking about a euro-reef rs 180 on mine.

shaggydoo541

No skimmer. I'll have to get a new fts. I wanted to the last time I was taking pics but the 105mm lens won't go back far enough so I'll have to put on a different lens and take a fts next time my wife lets me have the camera again... it is really hers but I steal it from time to time.

I had a lot of bleaching when I went from MH to t5. But everything adjusted with time. If I was to do it over again I would have drastically reduced my photoperiod and gradually increased over time. I wasn't prepared for the added intensity of the t5 and neither was my corals.

That's what I keep hearing. I'll definitely take it slow when I finally get to the point I'm ready to transfer things over. What would you say? Maybe 4 hours the first week, and the add an hour every week?

shaggy

Did you go with the AGA standpipes or did you make your own? The guy who sold me his new tank is sending me a pair of the AGA overflows but I don't know if I should just make my own or did AGA improve the design from when people complained it was too loud

shaggydoo541

msn - I would start with half the time you want then raise it up 2 hrs a week. Or an hr a week if you want to take it really slow. Maybe even better is an hr every 3-4 days. I have a 12 hr photoperiod so I should have started with 6 hrs or less and then gradually increased.

eddie - I'm not sure what standpipes I got. My tank came with a couple kits thrown in by the lfs. I don't know what brand though but I can tell you they are dead silent. I love em. I was going to make my own but the lfs threw them on for free so I just decided to give them a shot.

shaggydoo541

Thanks zprhead.

Ok as requested I stole the camera away from my wife and took some updated shots of my entire system. Enjoy!

1241790497_a0aff4c966_b.jpg

1242652322_4fb7625ce6_b.jpg

1242651682_040af0310f_b.jpg

1241789995_03223b0b97_b.jpg

1242651068_8e69b38c91_b.jpg

1242652042_5f811ef11c_b.jpg

1242652872_85a00d81f9_b.jpg

What a stunning tank, congrats on a job well done in all aspects of it. I really like it!

Regarding Powder blue tangs... do you find them to be very sensitive, and hard to keep healthy and/or alive compared to say a yellow tang? I plan on getting at least a 75g in the future (about 5 years), but am also looking into a 100g or a 125g (instead of the 75g, or maybe after the 75g has been setup for a few months, so upgrade to a 125g) and would love a PBT. Could you give me tips on them?

I love all the pics. I j ust found the thread today, and am very impressed. Superb pictures! I especially love shots that show multiple fish, and the tank. Would you be able to take a few pics of say the PBT and some other fish for me? Rather than just a zoned in pic of one fish.

Thanks so much,

flick :)

shaggydoo541

Pro - Yes the frags are growing out nicely and it looks better every day.

Toomin - Thanks!

flick - PBT has been an easy fish for me to keep, but many people have issues. My PBT is definitely the dominant fish in the tank (besides probably my imperator who really just ignores every other fish). If you plan on getting one, make sure to find a healthy individual as I have seen a lot of them in LFS that are sickly from the get go. Also plan on feeding it a lot and feed it a wide variety of foods. I feed algae sheets daily and also add pellets and various frozen foods every few days or so. I also think a 75 is much too small. I think my 120g is too small and if I can't upgrade to a larger tank within a few years will have to consider trading the pbt back (as well as a few other fish I have). I'll see what I can do as far as getting more pics up... I try to keep this thread loaded with pics so everyone can enjoy my reef ;)

Maybe I missed it, but what's the secret to keeping angels without nipping? I'd love to get one or two, but I'm afraid that LPS corals might be too attractive.

shaggydoo541

Well I'm afraid there is no secret. Angels will nip. My coral beauty never seems to do any harm though. It nips just about everything in front of its face... even my purple tang once.

My imperator does do some damage though. He will harass any new coral I put in my tank. Usually causing some harm, but then he leaves it alone. Once a coral is established in my tank the imperator will act pretty much the same way as the coral beauty... just cruise around the tank and bite everything in front of his face. From rock to coral to sand, it doesn't matter. I'm sure my reef would be better off without the imperator in there but it is my favorite fish so my corals will just have to withstand a little harassment... which they do quite easily.

Awesome thanks for the tips :) I have decided on getting a used 120g or a 125g (which ever i find for the best price at the right time). I would much prefer doing that, then squishing fish in a 'small' 75g. Might as well get a big tank, as knowing me i will upgrade a few months after i got the 75g anyways, so i will save money ;)

Can't wait for more pics!

Flick

shaggydoo541

If I was to do my tank all over again I would get a 180. But I'm always dreamin just a little bigger. If I was you I would definitely get the 120. The extra depth gives you a lot of options with your rockwork.

shaggydoo541

pro - I thought about it and tried to shorten them but then I couldn't get the lines pointing in the direction I wanted. If I was to build my cl again I wouldn't put the outlets pointing straight down like I did.... I would put them in at an angle so I can go in different directions easier. Bad planning I guess. I thought the loc line would be more flexible than it is but its actually a pita to take apart and use overall... better than unflexible pvc I guess. I think I'm going to try putting some zoas up on top of the lines. Only problem is how much light there is, I have a few colonies up in the top of my rockwork (which is still mostly lower than the loc lines) and they all bleached really bad and don't color up as well as down lower, the stay really pale.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, do you QT your fish?

Also, still happy with the skimmerless decision? I screwed up by putting a 40br in my stand as a sump...almost no room to work, much less get a decent sized skimmer in there. At best, I could probably do a tunze 9010/9015, or the deltec mce600/mc500. I'm just not sure if such a smaller skimmer is worth it on such a large tank, but maybe insurance since I know it will be heavily stocked. What are your thoughts?

I'm still loving my setup. It is very easy to take care of and I just traded out 4 of my t5 bulbs and the tank looks better than ever. I traded my 4 TRU bulbs (2 actinic 2 10k) for 1 UV super actinic, 1 uv 75/25, 1 geisemann 12k and 1 ATI 13k (i may have mixed up the geisemann vs ati but basically one is a 12k and one a 13k). Their was an instant improvement and now that some of the corals are adjusting they are getting just that much more colorful. Still no skimmer and still great SPS growth and even better color now with the new bulbs... tank just keeps getting better.

I am even feeding my LPS a lot more (3x a week or more) and maintain my daily (sometimes 2x) feeding of my fish as well. I cut back to 10g water changes every other week because I got lazy a few moths back and that has worked as well. Some days I cut my photoperiod in half from 12 hrs to 6 just to mix it up and keep any possible nuisance algae at bay.

I never qt my fish just because I basically got them all at the same time so my main tank was pretty much a qt tank and I do not plan to add any new fish. I need to start qt my corals though as this would have prevented the red bugs I experienced... I did get rid of the bugs but killed a couple shrimp in the process so that was no good and could have been prevented by qt.

Cool. I might just have to join you in the 120RR Skimmerless Club. I may have missed it, but what is the stocking list at right now as far as fish? I plan to have quite a few in my tank, and haven't really put much thought into narrowing it down.

Archived