ReefCleaners.org

My new 120G

shaggydoo541

I like that, I have one more space to fill for a larger coral and looking for something to go with the star polyps so the odds are increased my clown will host. Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I finally took some more pics of my tank. I almost killed all my SPS by being an idiot and dosing way too much when I realized my ca had fallen to 300. I turned my entire tank into a giant ca cloud and couldn't even see my overflows it was so bad.

All the softies, LPS and fish were fine but my SPS freaked out and they all lost their color and a few are looking like they are on the way out. Oh well... live and learn. As long as I'm patient at this point I should be able to bring them all back around. But they definintely are not ready to take pics of right now.

But that didn't stop me from taking pics of all the other stuff I have in my tank. So here is a sampling.

All these were shot by hand with my d200 using my 105mm lens. I was tweaking the settings all day and with a few I used my flash.

2049530256_c919cc7ac2_b.jpg

2048747525_9034c90d16_b.jpg

2049525674_71d4ac1c81_b.jpg

2049531848_acc816185a_b.jpg

2049362288_3de0cc29bb_b.jpg

2049524872_488d79dcf5_o.jpg

2049524732_e05a57db71_b.jpg

2049536236_ed2255df1e_b.jpg

2048576457_f127465683_b.jpg

And finally I like this one because it looks like the clown is trying to give you a hug.... ahhh.

2048575709_6306588d75_b.jpg

As always I took a lot of pics and keep them all on My Flickr Page . Feel free to visit and take a look at what I've done. I always welcome comments critiques on my current and past pictures. I also welcome all questions on my setup.

Wow...stunning pics bud. Is the 105mm macro a Nikon brand lens? I shoot Canon and at some point will be getting a macro for my 300d.

That pic of xenia/anthelia is stunning. Great clarity and tac sharp. Great job and nice captures with the fish :)

Yeah the 105mm is the nikon brand. Its a top notch lens. I really like it. I want to get some kenko tubes for it one day but haven't got around to it yet.

As always, I run out of superlatives for your pics! The corals are just stunning, and I am amazed that you can get such great fish close-ups! The penultimate one is my fav--that's just such a crazy looking fish!

I wish I knew enough about cameras to ask you questions! :) So I'll just ask a really dumb one--how actually close to the subjects does your lens have to be to get such great close-ups? Can you get them of something fairly deep into the tank?

--Diane

Diane - Well usually the closer the better when it comes to using the macro lens. Most of the subjects are probably around 6-12" away from the end of my lens. Deeper in the tank it just gets harder to get a clear undistorted picture and you definitely lose some clarity the further back you go. What did you mean by the penultimate one?

2048576457_f127465683_b.jpg

That one. It's such an incredible face, close-up. :) The eyes appear to be looking into the camera and the mouth in mid-conversation...

(penultimate = "next to last")

--Diane

Gotcha. I like that one a lot as well. The powder blue just has so much personality. He is definitely king of the tank still and will charge me whenever he decides I have been too close to the glass for too long.

Perhaps that should be "too close to the glass for too long without feeding him!" :lol:

That shot could easily be a magazine cover. Well, so could all of them...

--Diane

Thanks Shaz. It is just a regular standard glass 120G, no starphire. My next tank will be custom and I'm still undecided between starphire or acryllic to get a clearer look into the tank. The new tank is going to be much bigger but its also a long ways down the road so no need to think about all that now ;)

Just went through and reread your whole thread. And saw the pics on the first few pp for the first time--glad you updated them! There's so much nice info in this thread, on top of the splendid pics.

Tell me, did you have to reinforce your floor for a tank this size? What do you suppose the total weight is, approximately? How much LR do you have?

And can you reach all the way to the bottom? :D

--Diane

Diane - Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread/setup. I didn't reinforce my floor but it is sitting on a wall directly on my foundation... so I think that helps but even if it wasn't I don't think I would need to reinforce. I would guess around 1000 pounds or so including equipment. Much too heavy to lift ;)

I really did not put in much LR. I moved over all lr from my nano (18g w/ around 30-40 #'s approx) and also added another 50 #'s of baserock in in the initial setup of the tank. I tried to keep the tank very open to allow space for corals and fish to swim. It is a very deep tank and there is a big reclusive pile of rubble behind all the rockwork in between the overflows... you can never really see this in the pics, but it does provide places for all my fish critters to hide if I freak em out.

And no I cannot reach the bottom of the back of the tank ;) I have to use a step ladder just to get to the bottom of the front of the tank lol.

Biggest tip I can offer is add them all together. But if that is not possible try to keep all the tangs very very well fed. This can greatly decrease aggression. I have also heard that sometimes if you rearrange your rock work the existing tangs will not be as territorial. I personally added all 4 tangs at the same time and definitely keep all of them well fed at all times.

Thank you all for the comments... and schwaz sorry about the pants :lol:

I have a pretty laid back day today so I may try to get some more pics soon.

Shaggy, I am going from a 24G to 135G shortly. I am wondering about what kind of return pump are you using as well as the skimmer. Cant wait to see more pics of your beautiful tank, may I request a pic or two of your setup? sump area and the way you have setup your skimmer and pumps and such? thank you

Shaz... I did post pics of the entire setup (with the canopy and doors open to see the lights/sump), they are the third page of this post. I'm not using a skimmer and am using a mag18 for the return.

I wasn't able to get any pics this weekend but that was because I was out buying new corals... YAY! I'll try to get pics of new stuff and old as well sometime soon.

Well no new pics but there is some sad news. My imperator and coral beauty have died. My return pump failed and I was too stupid to worry about the o2 content in my tank. The pump died at midnite and I thought everything would be fine with a couple ph.

I woke up to go to work and both fish were gonners and my tangs were breathing extremely hard. Then I remembered I have a air pump (duh me). So I put that in there pointed my ph more towards the surface of the water and went to work with my fingers crossed. My lovely wife saved the day by taking the initiative to not only go buy a new pump but figure out how to put it in too. She is amazing and probalby is the reason I only lost two fish.

So I will let everything settle again and then try to get some pics. I was pretty pissed but now am ok and dealing with the loss of my favorite fish (imperator) ;)

Archived